New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Vista on External?


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
pollyolly100

 
Member Since: Jan 01, 2008
Posts: 18
pollyolly100 is on a distinguished road

pollyolly100 is offline
I know there are some threads already out there about this topic but.... If I partitioned an external HD NTFS (or whatever) will I be able to install Vista on it and boot from it? I really don't wanna install vista on my internal HD because I only have 60 GB of space. (OUCH) If it's possible, some sort of tutorial/how-to/walkthrough/picture book would help too.

My macbook's specs :

Model Name: MacBook
Model Identifier: MacBook1,1
Processor Name: Intel Core Duo
Processor Speed: 1.83 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 2 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 667 MHz
Boot ROM Version: MB11.0061.B03
SMC Version: 1.4f12
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled

(minus the serial number)

Lol I don't even know if you would need my macbooks specs...

External HD specs:

500 GB Buffalo DriveStation USB 2.0 and FireWire-400 External Hard Drive

Umm, currently it has two partitions in it:

a partition for Time Machine which is about 264 GB

and a partition for other stuff which is about 201.5 GB

I'm willing to take some space off the Time Machine partition because I don't really need that much space for the backups

Now I don't have my copy of Vista Home Premium, and I'm probably not even gonna get it if this doesn't work... Seriously 60 GB is too small for another partition LOL
QUOTE Thanks
Neo

 
Neo's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 14, 2007
Posts: 557
Neo is a jewel in the roughNeo is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: white MB 2.16GHz 3GB 320GB 10.6.1

Neo is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyolly100 View Post
I know there are some threads already out there about this topic but.... If I partitioned an external HD NTFS (or whatever) will I be able to install Vista on it and boot from it? I really don't wanna install vista on my internal HD because I only have 60 GB of space. (OUCH) If it's possible, some sort of tutorial/how-to/walkthrough/picture book would help too.
My macbook's specs :
Model Name: MacBook
Model Identifier: MacBook1,1
Processor Name: Intel Core Duo
Processor Speed: 1.83 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 2 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 667 MHz
Boot ROM Version: MB11.0061.B03
SMC Version: 1.4f12
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled
(minus the serial number)
Lol I don't even know if you would need my macbooks specs...
External HD specs:
500 GB Buffalo DriveStation USB 2.0 and FireWire-400 External Hard Drive
Umm, currently it has two partitions in it:
a partition for Time Machine which is about 264 GB
and a partition for other stuff which is about 201.5 GB
I'm willing to take some space off the Time Machine partition because I don't really need that much space for the backups
Now I don't have my copy of Vista Home Premium, and I'm probably not even gonna get it if this doesn't work... Seriously 60 GB is too small for another partition LOL
This is the first case of computer-related TMI (too much info) I've seen on this forum. The answer is not in your hardware specs, but in software. You could potentially install a virtual Windows with Parallels or Fusion (I recommend Fusion) on an external drive, but that'd make me so nervous! Superbig and extrabad problems would arise if your external, virtual Windows was running when the connection was lost or hiccuped. And performance would suffer, even over firewire. I won't tell you to do it, especially with Vista (eww!) but I think it is possible.
QUOTE Thanks
pollyolly100

 
Member Since: Jan 01, 2008
Posts: 18
pollyolly100 is on a distinguished road

pollyolly100 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo View Post
This is the first case of computer-related TMI (too much info) I've seen on this forum. The answer is not in your hardware specs, but in software. You could potentially install a virtual Windows with Parallels or Fusion (I recommend Fusion) on an external drive, but that'd make me so nervous! Superbig and extrabad problems would arise if your external, virtual Windows was running when the connection was lost or hiccuped. And performance would suffer, even over firewire. I won't tell you to do it, especially with Vista (eww!) but I think it is possible.
Thanks for your opinion! =)
So by the connection being lost, do you mean if there's a power outage and my external loses power or something then it could ruin my Mac? *gasp*
I mean, if it's gonna put my Mac in danger then I don't wanna do it... =p
MY MAC IS MY LIFE!
lol
QUOTE Thanks
Neo

 
Neo's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 14, 2007
Posts: 557
Neo is a jewel in the roughNeo is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: white MB 2.16GHz 3GB 320GB 10.6.1

Neo is offline
I was thinking of absentmindedly unplugging the drive to plug in some other device while the VM is running...the external HD losing power would be the same.
in any case, your Mac would be fine, but not putting away a VM properly is asking to delete it and reinstall everything.
BTW, you never mentioned why on earth you want to run Windows anyway(?)
Also, I just reread your first post, and in no case would you be able to BOOT from the external. BootCamp doesn't allow you to install to an external drive.
QUOTE Thanks
pollyolly100

 
Member Since: Jan 01, 2008
Posts: 18
pollyolly100 is on a distinguished road

pollyolly100 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo View Post
I was thinking of absentmindedly unplugging the drive to plug in some other device while the VM is running...the external HD losing power would be the same.
in any case, your Mac would be fine, but not putting away a VM properly is asking to delete it and reinstall everything.
BTW, you never mentioned why on earth you want to run Windows anyway(?)
Also, I just reread your first post, and in no case would you be able to BOOT from the external. BootCamp doesn't allow you to install to an external drive.
Aww...that stinks =p
Lol isn't it ironic that it's called Boot Camp but you can't really boot from some devices? Or maybe I'm just going crazy for wanting to install Windows and having too many beers...
QUOTE Thanks
northy124

 
Member Since: Oct 17, 2007
Posts: 288
northy124 can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: 2.16 GHz C2D, 1GB Ram, MacBook White

northy124 is offline
It will work at the very least you need a USB 2.0 recommend FW 800. I think you can do it through Boot Camp. I did installed from the MacBook it self (By putting blank 300GB and formatting and installed). Just be careful of the Ex.HDD if something goes wrong it's buggered and you have to start again.
QUOTE Thanks
pollyolly100

 
Member Since: Jan 01, 2008
Posts: 18
pollyolly100 is on a distinguished road

pollyolly100 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by northy124 View Post
It will work at the very least you need a USB 2.0 recommend FW 800. I think you can do it through Boot Camp. I did installed from the MacBook it self (By putting blank 300GB and formatting and installed). Just be careful of the Ex.HDD if something goes wrong it's buggered and you have to start again.
Ok, so how do you get Boot Camp to recognize your External? I ran Boot Camp Assistant and it's just showing my internal HD...God I feel like such a noobie...LOL
QUOTE Thanks
smartyMAC

 
smartyMAC's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 20, 2007
Location: Land of Rising Sun
Posts: 337
smartyMAC will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MB White 160GB, 2GB RAM,

smartyMAC is offline
Bootcamp will partition the internal disk only. It's meant for that alone. Currently booting the OSs from external storage devices is not very well supported. However there are tweaks available for these. You need to use google.

+ Tri-BOOT MB +
MAC OS 10.5
Mandriva 2009
Windows 7 RC
QUOTE Thanks
knightlie

 
knightlie's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 22, 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 1,463
knightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really nice
Mac Specs: Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen

knightlie is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyolly100 View Post
Thanks for your opinion! =)
So by the connection being lost, do you mean if there's a power outage and my external loses power or something then it could ruin my Mac? *gasp*
I mean, if it's gonna put my Mac in danger then I don't wanna do it... =p
MY MAC IS MY LIFE!
lol
No, it won't ruin your Mac, but it'll likely damager the VM you were running at the time.

[URL="http://beadia.net"]Beadia[/URL - Jewelry Business Management Software]
I judge you when you use poor grammar.
QUOTE Thanks
northy124

 
Member Since: Oct 17, 2007
Posts: 288
northy124 can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: 2.16 GHz C2D, 1GB Ram, MacBook White

northy124 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyolly100 View Post
Ok, so how do you get Boot Camp to recognize your External? I ran Boot Camp Assistant and it's just showing my internal HD...God I feel like such a noobie...LOL
I said you have to take your Mac HDD out and put the External one in if its SATA 2.5inch HDD then insert the Vista Disc and it should install automacialy. When finshed you can put the leopard disc in to install the vista drivers for use with mac
QUOTE Thanks
smartyMAC

 
smartyMAC's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 20, 2007
Location: Land of Rising Sun
Posts: 337
smartyMAC will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MB White 160GB, 2GB RAM,

smartyMAC is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by northy124 View Post
I said you have to take your Mac HDD out and put the External one in if its SATA 2.5inch HDD then insert the Vista Disc and it should install automacialy. When finshed you can put the leopard disc in to install the vista drivers for use with mac
But the original disk needs to be put back. Once you take out the vista disk the problem again remains about booting vista from external drive.

+ Tri-BOOT MB +
MAC OS 10.5
Mandriva 2009
Windows 7 RC
QUOTE Thanks
northy124

 
Member Since: Oct 17, 2007
Posts: 288
northy124 can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: 2.16 GHz C2D, 1GB Ram, MacBook White

northy124 is offline
All you need is a USB 2.0 minium prefably FW800 as it is faster. You rejecy the disc ou of the Mac replace the vista HDD with the Mac's one. Then insert Leopard disc after botting from Ex. HDD by pressing Option Key/Alt
QUOTE Thanks
smartyMAC

 
smartyMAC's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 20, 2007
Location: Land of Rising Sun
Posts: 337
smartyMAC will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MB White 160GB, 2GB RAM,

smartyMAC is offline
Have you tried booting vista from external using the above method. It isn't that straight.

+ Tri-BOOT MB +
MAC OS 10.5
Mandriva 2009
Windows 7 RC
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« virus but not on the virus scanner...? | BootCamp can't partition, what are my options? »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Partitioning my external hdd and a few other questions? overgrowntroll Other Hardware and Peripherals 3 12-11-2007 07:32 PM
Vista 32bit or 64bit Via Bootcamp and VMWare amardilo Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac 1 08-25-2007 09:01 PM
Booting from external Harddrive Hustle Apple Notebooks 5 05-28-2007 05:54 AM
macbook to load windows vista off external drive steinm10 Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac 6 03-19-2007 05:31 PM
Installing Vista RTM on Macbook Pro cRuNcHiE Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac 8 11-29-2006 08:43 AM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:56 AM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?