New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Boot Camp, Windows XP, and Firewire 800 Drive

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

BigSexy135

BigSexy135 is on a distinguished road

I am planning on installing Windows XP on my 20" Aluminum iMac (2ghz, 2gb Ram, 250 gb HD) and I want to basically make the minimum partition size on my internal drive for XP. I was going to install a few games on XP onto my 500gb firewire 800 drive and I was wondering if the Apple Time Machine format that it made me do for my external drive will work with Windows XP. I apologize if my wording is unclear.

iMac 20" 2Ghz 2gb RAM (10.5) + 500gb WD Mybook Pro
QUOTE Thanks
thirdkid4thman

thirdkid4thman is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 20", 2.4 ghz, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD + IEEE 1394b 500gb external

No the Time Machine filesystem is HFS, Windows will not be able to use it. To install the games on the external hard drive you will need to make a partition that Windows will recognize. You can use either FAT32 which has a partition size limit of 32 GB, or you can us the NTFS filesystem. OSX will not partition in NTFS although it can read it. So if you want to use NTFS you will need the "NTFS driver for Mac"
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Triple booting Leopard, Ubuntu, and XP on a MBP | I do not have sufficient privileges »