New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

windows on mac help

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

sophie77

sophie77 is on a distinguished road

hey everyone. for my college algebra class we have to use a compass lab that can only be run on internet explorer/windows. does anyone know what would be the best way to do this? i tried downloading internet explorer but i could only find the version 5 for macs and the math lab requires 6 or higher. any advice??
QUOTE Thanks
smartyMAC

smartyMAC will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MB White 160GB, 2GB RAM,

You can run windows on BC or VMware Fusion or parallels. VMF or parallels will be a better option for you since you dont have to reboot your machine frequently.

+ Tri-BOOT MB +
MAC OS 10.5
Mandriva 2009
Windows 7 RC
QUOTE Thanks
MacFanBoy

MacFanBoy is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2 x 20" iMac Intel Core 2 Duo

Depends on exactly how the program works.

You tray "IE Tab" add-on for firefox, this fools the site into thinking you are using IE via an agent switcher.
QUOTE Thanks
Neo

Neo is a jewel in the roughNeo is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: white MB 2.16GHz 3GB 320GB 10.6.1

Buying Windows just so you can run IE6 is the worst possible reason.

Crossover is the same price as Fusion, $10 cheaper than Parallels, and can run IE6 well enough for your purposes (all from within OS X, no Windows needed). Download a 30-day trial here. If you decide to buy, they offer students a break on the price.

It might be possible to spoof IE with Firefox or Safari. You'll have to search for that.
MacFanBoy, The last I knew, Firefox for Mac didn't have the necessary add-on. "IE Tab" doesn't support Macs.
For Safari, it's something to do with the Debug function, and it was quite a hack, IMO.
QUOTE Thanks
sophie77

ok i installed crossover (the free trial) but it popped up with this screen where i have to drag the crossover icon to the application icon. i did that, but now what?
QUOTE Thanks
Neo

Neo is a jewel in the roughNeo is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: white MB 2.16GHz 3GB 320GB 10.6.1

Now you should be able to open Finder, and see Crossover in the Applications folder. If so, you have installed Crossover correctly.

EDIT: Start Crossover, then select Install Software... from the Configure menu. Select Internet Explorer 6 from the list of software packages and click Continue. Crossover will get installer information...then clicking Download and Install will do it for you.

Once Crossover has installed IE6, it (and any other apps you install with Crossover) will be in User/Applications/Crossover (where User is your name). Double-clicking it will open Crossover, which will open IE6, and then you can experience the internet Microsoft-style! Caution: this is bad! Use IE6 only for your class assignment.
QUOTE Thanks
MacFanBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo View Post
Buying Windows just so you can run IE6 is the worst possible reason.

It might be possible to spoof IE with Firefox or Safari. You'll have to search for that.
MacFanBoy, The last I knew, Firefox for Mac didn't have the necessary add-on. "IE Tab" doesn't support Macs.
For Safari, it's something to do with the Debug function, and it was quite a hack, IMO.
(1) Turn on User agent under the debug menu option in safari
Should be on in Safari 3 for Leopard if not download onxy and enable the debug menu under Parameters:Safari

(2) Try ies4osx at http://www.kronenberg.org/ies4osx/ (the 4 means for and not ie 4)

(3) Yes IE Tab is not available for MacOSX.
QUOTE Thanks
sophie77

ok the user agent...where is that exactly?
QUOTE Thanks
MacFanBoy

click on safari
notice that the top menu now is safari...
last menu option on the right hand side = Debug
click on Debug menu option.
2nd choice down is User Agent.
If not then download "Onxy"
Install Onxy and enable the debug menu in safari under Parameters:Safari
QUOTE Thanks
sophie77

alright i got Onxy to work. But i couldn't get ies4osx. When i went to install it, it said "No suitable X11 found!" ?? X11 is not installed or up to date. Install X11 from your OSX installation DVD then run "Software Update" from the Apple menu.

can i download this X11 from somewhere? hellllllp.

ps. thank you for all your help so far!
QUOTE Thanks
MacFanBoy

If you have Onxy installed then you should be able to enable the debug menu in safari under Parameters:Safari
then click on safari
notice that the top menu now is safari...
last menu option on the right hand side = Debug
click on Debug menu option.
2nd choice down is User Agent.
Choose Windows MSIE 6.0
QUOTE Thanks
sophie77

ok in Onxy, i found the "enable debug menu in: safari, address book, or dvd player". i checked the box for safari. but it was under misc. in Onxy. I don't see Parameters anywhere.
QUOTE Thanks
Kuwisdelu

Kuwisdelu is on a distinguished road

If you need X11, it should be on the OS X CDs that came with your computer, under optional installations.
QUOTE Thanks
sophie77

yeah it says i already have it on this computer. any idea where the parameters thing is?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« problem with BOOTCAMP please HELP | Downloading Windows Online for Boot Camp. Need Help »