New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

so once u have parallels or bootcamp, how do u install xp?


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
theraker007

 
Member Since: Dec 29, 2007
Posts: 129
theraker007 is an unknown at this point

theraker007 is offline
is there a guide included with the programs or online that will make sure I do it right.


also, i was wondering, is it possible to keep parallels (if i go that route) always up in one of the spaces?
QUOTE Thanks
QDaMan

 
QDaMan's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 23, 2007
Location: Michigan, USA
Posts: 167
QDaMan is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini - 2.26 Ghz C2D - 2 GB RAM - 160 GB HDD

QDaMan is offline
I believe, though I have not used it since the beta, that Boot Camp actually FORCES you to print out a guide to even continue installation. Parallels also comes with a guide if I remember correctly.

Personally thought I think VMWare Fusion is the best program for this purpose, check it out here.

The Mind of Q
^ Click the MUSIC tab if you like Hip-Hop!
QUOTE Thanks
theraker007

 
Member Since: Dec 29, 2007
Posts: 129
theraker007 is an unknown at this point

theraker007 is offline
i heard that it was the best if u were using windows vista only?
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

 
cwa107's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 20, 2006
Location: Middletown, Pennsylvania
Posts: 26,599
cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

cwa107 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by theraker007 View Post
is there a guide included with the programs or online that will make sure I do it right.
Parallels pretty much automates the process. There's really not a whole lot to do, but yes, there is documentation.

Quote:
also, i was wondering, is it possible to keep parallels (if i go that route) always up in one of the spaces?
Yes.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

 
cwa107's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 20, 2006
Location: Middletown, Pennsylvania
Posts: 26,599
cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

cwa107 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by theraker007 View Post
i heard that it was the best if u were using windows vista only?
Parallels and Fusion work in much the same way (running Windows in a "Virtual Machine"). Boot Camp actually installs Windows directly on your Mac, giving you the option to boot into either OS. The difference is that with Fusion or Parallels, you can run both Windows and Mac OS at the same time. Although Parallels and Fusion both have limited 3D support, you can play a number of (mostly older) games. Anything requiring Direct 9.0 or higher won't run, including Vista's Aero interface. If you need to play games or want to have Vista's Aero interface, Boot Camp is your only choice.

As far as which one's better - that's pretty subjective. They're very, very similar. IMO, Parallels is a bit more mature at this point because it's been in production for quite some time. Fusion is a relative new-comer, but VMWare (the company that produces Fusion) is a pioneer in the VM industry. So, it's really hard to recommend one over the other.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
theraker007

 
Member Since: Dec 29, 2007
Posts: 129
theraker007 is an unknown at this point

theraker007 is offline
also the other question i had, in effort to not make another thread: how long can the mbp last battery wise while suspended?
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

 
cwa107's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 20, 2006
Location: Middletown, Pennsylvania
Posts: 26,599
cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

cwa107 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by theraker007 View Post
also the other question i had, in effort to not make another thread: how long can the mbp last battery wise while suspended?
I have never tested it, nor have I seen anyone post a report - with that said, I have heard of people leaving their MacBooks in sleep mode for weeks. Since it only needs enough power to keep the contents of memory live, it should be quite a long time.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
theraker007

 
Member Since: Dec 29, 2007
Posts: 129
theraker007 is an unknown at this point

theraker007 is offline
thanks for all your help.

I only need windows to run online poker, so parallels will do just fine. if i want to be gaming, ill just use the desktop i built last summer
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

 
cwa107's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 20, 2006
Location: Middletown, Pennsylvania
Posts: 26,599
cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

cwa107 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by theraker007 View Post
thanks for all your help.

I only need windows to run online poker, so parallels will do just fine. if i want to be gaming, ill just use the desktop i built last summer
Which site is it? In my experience, most sites run under Java - which should work fine on MacOS X.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
theraker007

 
Member Since: Dec 29, 2007
Posts: 129
theraker007 is an unknown at this point

theraker007 is offline
Absolute poker

they have an in browser version, but im a tournament player and that insite version only works for cash games.


actually i just checked it does allow tournament play but i just dont trust a web based poker software with thousands of dollars lol
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

 
cwa107's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 20, 2006
Location: Middletown, Pennsylvania
Posts: 26,599
cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

cwa107 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by theraker007 View Post
Absolute poker

they have an in browser version, but im a tournament player and that insite version only works for cash games.


actually i just checked it does allow tournament play but i just dont trust a web based poker software with thousands of dollars lol
Hmmm... well, either way, your transactions are going over the Internet. Not sure what the difference is.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
theraker007

 
Member Since: Dec 29, 2007
Posts: 129
theraker007 is an unknown at this point

theraker007 is offline
the stability of the software.. the web based browser is far more prone to crashing.

its not funny at all when u got $600 out there
QUOTE Thanks
theraker007

 
Member Since: Dec 29, 2007
Posts: 129
theraker007 is an unknown at this point

theraker007 is offline
i think im gonna buy my mbp after the keynote with or without an upgrade to the hardware.

i think whats out now is good enough to last me 4 yrs of medical school
QUOTE Thanks
theonegod

 
theonegod's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 02, 2006
Posts: 476
theonegod has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro

theonegod is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
Parallels and Fusion work in much the same way (running Windows in a "Virtual Machine"). Boot Camp actually installs Windows directly on your Mac, giving you the option to boot into either OS. The difference is that with Fusion or Parallels, you can run both Windows and Mac OS at the same time. Although Parallels and Fusion both have limited 3D support, you can play a number of (mostly older) games. Anything requiring Direct 9.0 or higher won't run, including Vista's Aero interface. If you need to play games or want to have Vista's Aero interface, Boot Camp is your only choice.

As far as which one's better - that's pretty subjective. They're very, very similar. IMO, Parallels is a bit more mature at this point because it's been in production for quite some time. Fusion is a relative new-comer, but VMWare (the company that produces Fusion) is a pioneer in the VM industry. So, it's really hard to recommend one over the other.
This is incorrect. Fusion supports DirectX 9. Parallels doesn't however. Vista's Areo Interface will also work in Fusion. Fusion is newer then Parallels by a small amount but as stated VMWare is much much older then PParallels and has been in the VM industry longer then anyone.
QUOTE Thanks
theraker007

 
Member Since: Dec 29, 2007
Posts: 129
theraker007 is an unknown at this point

theraker007 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by theonegod View Post
This is incorrect. Fusion supports DirectX 9. Parallels doesn't however. Vista's Areo Interface will also work in Fusion. Fusion is newer then Parallels by a small amount but as stated VMWare is much much older then PParallels and has been in the VM industry longer then anyone.
so you would argue it the better choice then?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« Mighty Mouse | remote access the Mac from the PC »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
install winxp on bootcamp using external drive failed kitaeshi Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac 4 11-18-2007 09:00 PM
BootCamp Clean Install? chat19 OS X - Apps and Games 0 09-24-2007 06:31 PM
Im really confused about bootcamp and parallels bproawienr Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac 11 08-16-2007 08:44 PM
Does the Apple Bluetooth KB & mouse work with Parallels & Bootcamp? cramar Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac 3 04-11-2007 01:36 AM
A newbie comments on his first experience with Parallels 3150 NJRonbo Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac 0 02-02-2007 07:41 AM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:38 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?