New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

PC not recognizing firewire drive

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mknabster

mknabster has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: 15in MBP 2.5GHz Core2Duo | 1.83Ghz Dual G5 PowerMac | 2.0 GHz Dual G5 PowerMac

I just bought the Western Digital MyBook Studio Edition 500GB hard drive for my computers. I am running it via Firewire 800 on a Mac and PC. Now i reformatted it with Windows NT formatting so it would be compatible with both sides. With the Mac, it works perfectly, but i am having a problem with Windows XP. I plug it in, Windows does that ding like something is connected, but it does not show up in My Computer. So i go into Device manager, it shows up, but there is a yellow question mark around it. What's going on?

-Matt
QUOTE Thanks
Mathiau

Mathiau is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MacBook Black 2ghz / 2g / 160g72k | Ipod nano black 4G

a yellow question mark means it is not recognizing it

is this a PCI firewire card or built in firewire?

MAC osx tiger and lower can only read from NTFS, not read to it, can leopard now? not sure.
QUOTE Thanks
mknabster

mknabster has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: 15in MBP 2.5GHz Core2Duo | 1.83Ghz Dual G5 PowerMac | 2.0 GHz Dual G5 PowerMac

This is via the internal Firewire 800 port that is on my MBP. What do you mean by "MAC osx tiger and lower can only read from NTFS, not read to it, can leopard now? not sure."?

-Matt
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Just curious, is the drive formatted NTFS or FAT32? Out of the box OSX can only read from an NTFS drive and can not Write to it. You can install a driver that will allow OSX to Write to an NTFS drive also. Windows reads and writes to both NTFS and FAT32.
QUOTE Thanks
Mathiau

Mathiau is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MacBook Black 2ghz / 2g / 160g72k | Ipod nano black 4G

^^^ yup, i wrote me response wrong, read and read DUH! matt.
QUOTE Thanks
NeoGreen

NeoGreen is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" White MacBook 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1GB RAM, 80GB HD.

If it isnt' recognizing the external hard drive that means it really isn't installed you may have to manually install the driver. Did the external hard drive come with a install CD. If not then you may have to go to the Western Digital website and download the driver.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« remote access the Mac from the PC | Entourage 2008 features »