New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

iMac - someone PLEASE help i am stuck!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

chunkitron3030

chunkitron3030 is on a distinguished road

stuck in bootcamp i think!

i just bought a 20 inch imac brand new. and tonight when i went to install windows xp with sp2 on it. the partitioning went fine, and so did the install, i selected the correct partition for installation.

all is fine until i reboot. the imac of course doesnt have an eject button. when i hit the keyboard eject, it does nothing! when i hold the mouse down, it does nothing! neither does holding the command or control buttons.

it is a repeating process and i cant get out of it, my imac doesnt even attempt to get around the booting disk.

some one please tell me how i can get the xp disk out so it can boot up without the cd.

(also note, if i ignore the prompt for the boot from disk. it says something about an error and to press any key to restart, when i hit a key, it does nothing...) PLEASSSEEE HELPPPPP!!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
Chilbear

Chilbear is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2xiMac24 w Parallels 6 (1x White, 1x Aluminum), iPhone 3GS with iOS5

It sounds like you are still within Windows (never been within Boot Camp myself). Can you see the Apple at this stage? IF so select select Sys Prefs> Startup Disk and choose the MAc.

If you cannot see the Apple then my best guess is you formatted the whole machine into Windows and may not have a Mac OS installed. You need to get back to Mac and identify what actually happened. Let us know about what you can see.
QUOTE Thanks
Neo

Neo is a jewel in the roughNeo is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: white MB 2.16GHz 3GB 320GB 10.6.1

How about holding down option/alt while you restart? It will give you an option of boot sources. Don't let chilbear freak you out; OS X is still there.
QUOTE Thanks
chunkitron3030

chunkitron3030 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo View Post
How about holding down option/alt while you restart? It will give you an option of boot sources. Don't let chilbear freak you out; OS X is still there.
tried that just now, and that doesnt work either. i know it would get past it, i just need to get the **** disc out
QUOTE Thanks
ashkonee01

ashkonee01 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac G5 20in 2gb Ram.Macbook Pro 15in 2GB RAM

Im not sure if you tried this, but try going into windows, installing the drivers from the leopard CD, and then trying the eject button. Idk, worth a try.
QUOTE Thanks
Neo

Neo is a jewel in the roughNeo is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: white MB 2.16GHz 3GB 320GB 10.6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunkitron3030 View Post
tried that just now, and that doesnt work either. i know it would get past it, i just need to get the **** disc out
Hey, watch your language. I know what you need. If holding Option didn't work, BootCamp must not have successfully created the partition (or something). Is the computer stuck in a restart loop? If so, push and hold the power button until it powers down (or unplug).
Wait 20 seconds or so, then power up your Imac and immediately press and hold the C (the letter C) key. You need to push and hold it before you hear the chord startup sound. Keep it held until a gray screen comes up with boot options. Select your Mac HD. OS X starts up, and the CD should release as usual (drag it to the trash).

BTW what do you mean "I know it would get past it"? That's what you want to do is get past it!

EDIT: ashkonee may have something too, if you ever see a Windows desktop. Open My Computer, right-click on the DVD, and select Eject. But I don't think you are seeing a Windows desktop, right?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Windows XP (SP2) - what to do? | where is the newest bootcamp download? »