New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Windows XP (SP2) - what to do?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Wombat33

Wombat33 is on a distinguished road

I recently switched from a PC to an iMac 24", which I love. I really only have one PC software that I need to use with Bootcamp. I have a couple of questions:

1) I installed Bootcamp and Windows XP (SP1). I realized I allotted too much space for the Windows operating system, so I wanted to restart, this time allocating much less space. Well, I accidentally deleted Bootcamp from the Utilities folder, thinking that it was simply the partition that I had created. How do I reload Bootcamp by itself? Does my OS-X disk allow me to simply reload Bootcamp, or will I have to reload the whole operating system?

2) Okay, I now realize OS-X doesn't work with XP (SP1), which I have on a disk. Is there an inexpensive way of getting XP (SP2) on a disk? I really don't want to spend anything . . .
QUOTE Thanks
MacFanBoy

MacFanBoy is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2 x 20" iMac Intel Core 2 Duo

You could download SP2
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

and then create a custom XP disk via
http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase...slipstream.asp

But of course you need access to a PC to do this.
QUOTE Thanks
Wombat33

I still have my PC. Would it be possible to create a folder on my Mac, download XP-SP2 into that folder, transfer the folder to my PC and follow the "slipstream" process that way?

I briefly read the slipstream process; man, that's pretty involved for a lightweight like me.
QUOTE Thanks
Kinley

Kinley is on a distinguished road

I will suggest different approach to this solution:

If you use VMWare fusion for your XP that will work really fast you will have automatically mounted your home directory form MAC OS X so you can share file between, by using spaces on mac you can work on booth of them at the same time and don’t see any difference.

By doing that you will save disk space since you can allow 20GB for VMWare image but this will grow with your system so at the banging if your XP will require just 1,5GB of space that’s the image size

Some times Im to much man for my god **** self!
QUOTE Thanks
Wombat33

Kinley:

Yeah, I was thinking of doing that. But the one PC software program that I want to use in a digital video editing program (Sony Vegas 8). I've been told that the VMFusion virtual machine is not as good as having the program run via Bootcamp.
QUOTE Thanks
MacFanBoy

Wombat33

The slipstream method seems complicated but it's not really.
Just print-out the instructions and follow them on your PC.
No you can not do this on the mac as it needs windows.....
You could install XP under VMfusion and slipstream it that way as well..
QUOTE Thanks
Kinley

Kinley is on a distinguished road

How much RAM do you have in iMAC ? If 1GB at least, that should be fine for VMWare since XP runs quite ok with 512MB once you turn off all the unnecessary effects. Of course if you have 2GB of RAM in iMac I would not even bother with bootcamp. On my macbook I have 1GB of ram and Win XP runs faster under VM than XP on my desktop - Celleron 2.4 GHz with 1GB of RAM, sATA so that should give you some brief of situation and efficiency.

Some times Im to much man for my god **** self!
QUOTE Thanks
Wombat33

I have 1.5 gigs of RAM. You know, I guess I should at least TRY your suggestion before going through the hassle of insisting on Bootcamp.

I guess, though, that I still have to have XP (SP2) even with VMFusion, right? [Or, will SP1 work?]
QUOTE Thanks
MacFanBoy

You can install and run any version of windows, dos, linux etc.
So Yes Windows SP1 will be ok
(see my above post...Install Windows SP1 in VMfusion and if this doesn't give you exactly what you need then you can create a windows XP SP2 slipstream disk and use this to create a bootcamp windows installation.)
QUOTE Thanks
Wombat33

Doggone it! I meant to say I have 3GB of RAM, not 1.5GB.

So, looks like I'll be loading up the ol' VMFusion program and seeing how things work. Thanks everyone!
QUOTE Thanks
MacFanBoy

By the way what is the one piece of software that you need to use?
There may be a mac equilivent..
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Boot Camp: Vista or Windows XP Better? | someone PLEASE help i am stuck! »