New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Help me decide: Bootcamp vs Parallels..

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

farmcock

farmcock has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I now have Leopard with Bootcamp and want to install Windows XP; however, I only have like 32 GB hard drive left and don't really like the idea of partitioning (dedicating) space to Windows up front, not knowing if i'll use it all or not - (I only need one Windows prog at present) - then it becomes wasted space.

Wouldn't it be better in my case to go with something like Parallels Desktop?
QUOTE Thanks
giulio

giulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iPod Touch | iPod Nano

I have VMware Fusion. You can specify UP TO x amount of GBs for windows. It will not start off with that much HD dedicated. For instance I allowed up to 10 GB for XP. But it is only using 8 right now.

schweb This has to be one of the best threads ever in MF history...
Cherokee This gets my vote for most innovative thread on Mac-Forums... ever.
QUOTE Thanks
NPuter

NPuter is a jewel in the roughNPuter is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP

Quote:
Originally Posted by giulio View Post
I have VMware Fusion. You can specify UP TO x amount of GBs for windows. It will not start off with that much HD dedicated. For instance I allowed up to 10 GB for XP. But it is only using 8 right now.
same here...
I would definitely go for VMware Fusion over Parallels

"The forums are not only a place to have questions answered, they are a place to be part of a community..."
QUOTE Thanks
Bluegrass

Bluegrass will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz, 4GB memory, 160GB hard drive, Leopard, 20" Widescreen Samsung Display

I just read this report on this issue:

http://db.tidbits.com/article/9370

They say Parallels runs XP faster than VMware Fusion, but read the whole article to get a more informed view!

I have been running Parallels on both Tiger and Leopard and it works well especially the cross platform integration.
QUOTE Thanks
giulio

giulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iPod Touch | iPod Nano

That was a very short read.

Here are more shootouts:
http://www.google.com/search?q=parallels+vs+fusion

VMware freely distributes Virtual Appliances. You can download a LAMP server, turn it on, and you're done... serving Apache, MySQL and PHP on a Linux box you didn't have to set up. Some appliances already have mambo/sugar/wordpress/etc already set up. Even Microsoft based appliances (30 day license) with IIS, SQL Server, Windows 200X server!
QUOTE Thanks
smartyMAC

smartyMAC will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MB White 160GB, 2GB RAM,

If it's for windows XP, virtualisation suffices. But for vista or linux, better to have it on partitions to get all the graphics and features.

+ Tri-BOOT MB +
MAC OS 10.5
Mandriva 2009
Windows 7 RC
QUOTE Thanks
jayr41

jayr41 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook 2.2Ghz Intel Core Duo 2 (Santa Rosa) with 1gb (will be upgraded to 4Gb), 120GB hard drive

not sure if this will help you but I am a recent switcher, 2 weeks ago and I am using parallels with XP and I did run vista as well. Parallels works great!!! can't ask for anything more....
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Uninstalling Partition | File Sharing between MAC and PC after Bootcamp and Parallels »