New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

bootcamp vs. parallels?!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mahmoodali

mahmoodali is on a distinguished road

heyy..
i've got parallels installed on my MBP. however the reason why i'm not using it is because i read somewhere that it divides everything between windows and mac! i've got two questions actually?:

1. when i divide the ram to both windows and mac (via parallels), say for example 2gb of ram to each OS. does that mean that my mac would be running 2gb ram all the time ? or as normal 4gb ram unless i open parallels and then it's divided into 2gb each?

2. can i run windows on parallels using my bootcamp partition?

any suggestion would be appreciated!

• Macbook Pro 15.4" 2.4Ghz
  • 4GB ram
  • 250GB HD
  • Leopard
QUOTE Thanks
Neo

Neo is a jewel in the roughNeo is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: white MB 2.16GHz 3GB 320GB 10.6.1

Answer for your #1: If your MBP has 4 GB RAM, it is all available to your Mac. if you open Parallels, all that memory is still allocated to your Mac. If you start Windows with Parallels, it reallocates 2 GB of your Mac's RAM to the Windows machine, leaving your Mac running on 2 GB (you should be able to change memory allocation settings; say, allocate 1 GB to your Windows machine, retaining 3 GB for your Mac, or vice versa).

Answer for your #2: I don't know, but Fusion allows you to do that, so I'd imagine Parallels does too? How about asking Parallels Help?
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

The answer to your second question would be yes. Install Windows via Boot Camp and when running the Parallels wizard, point it to your Boot Camp partition and you're set.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
mahmoodali

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo View Post
Answer for your #1: If your MBP has 4 GB RAM, it is all available to your Mac. if you open Parallels, all that memory is still allocated to your Mac. If you start Windows with Parallels, it reallocates 2 GB of your Mac's RAM to the Windows machine, leaving your Mac running on 2 GB (you should be able to change memory allocation settings; say, allocate 1 GB to your Windows machine, retaining 3 GB for your Mac, or vice versa).

Answer for your #2: I don't know, but Fusion allows you to do that, so I'd imagine Parallels does too? How about asking Parallels Help?
great, so installing windows via parallels won't affect my mac performance at all as long as i'm not running windows at the time! however even if it reallocated 2gb to windows and 2gb to the mac while running windows it's not a problem since i will only be using one OS at a time!
what do you say ?

• 4GB ram
  • 250GB HD
  • Leopard
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahmoodali View Post
great, so installing windows via parallels won't affect my mac performance at all as long as i'm not running windows at the time! however even if it reallocated 2gb to windows and 2gb to the mac while running windows it's not a problem since i will only be using one OS at a time!
what do you say ?
You're not using one OS at a time when you're running Windows via Parallels. OS X is acting as the host, and Windows is running in a virtual machine. This gives you the flexibility that is the hallmark of Parallels (and Fusion).

If you only need to run one OS at a time, just use Boot Camp.

Just out of curiosity, what programs are you running that you're so concerned will need more than 2GB of RAM at any given time?

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
mahmoodali

I'm an architecture student, all my work is done on autocad and 3ds max! which requires so much ram!

• 4GB ram
  • 250GB HD
  • Leopard
QUOTE Thanks
mahmoodali

i actually googled vmware fusion and i think it's better!
any idea how to uninstall parallels form my mac? i read somewhere that i should just open my applications folder and drag parallels into my trash! is that right or there's a better way ?

• 4GB ram
  • 250GB HD
  • Leopard
QUOTE Thanks
milessthomas

milessthomas is a jewel in the roughmilessthomas is a jewel in the roughmilessthomas is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP 3.06Ghz, MBP 2.2Ghz, Mini G4, B/W G3 (Media Server), LCII, Beige G3

You can either pull it out of applications or use the uninstaller on the cd if it has an uninstaller.

Or you can also try http://appzapper.com/

QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahmoodali View Post
i actually googled vmware fusion and i think it's better!
any idea how to uninstall parallels form my mac? i read somewhere that i should just open my applications folder and drag parallels into my trash! is that right or there's a better way ?
How so? Parallels and Fusion essentially do the same thing, except that Parallels is a more mature product.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
mahmoodali

i found this page, compares between both vmware and parallels!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari...allels_Desktop

• 4GB ram
  • 250GB HD
  • Leopard
QUOTE Thanks
jayr41

jayr41 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook 2.2Ghz Intel Core Duo 2 (Santa Rosa) with 1gb (will be upgraded to 4Gb), 120GB hard drive

how much memory is recommended to allocate to a win xp or vista partition using parallels? I will have my macbook on xmas and will at least have 3gb/4gb of memory installed as well. can you reallocate memory on the fly? sorry for the dumb question...i will be a new switcher to mac....

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayr41 View Post
how much memory is recommended to allocate to a win xp or vista partition using parallels? I will have my macbook on xmas and will at least have 3gb/4gb of memory installed as well. can you reallocate memory on the fly? sorry for the dumb question...i will be a new switcher to mac....

Thanks!
XP is usually comfortable with 512MB - 1GB if you're running a lot of "heavy-duty" apps.

Vista needs to have a minimum of 1GB, 2GB if you need to run "heavy duty" apps.

You can reallocate memory as needed, but you'll need to shut down the virtual machine.

QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo View Post
It's a little smarter than that actually now. If you allow the Virtual Machine (VM) to say have 1gb of RAM. When you start Windows, you'll see that Parallels will not take that immediately. Assuming you're running XP (and not Vista) it will probably boot up using 130mb or so. It then just takes what it needs as you launch applications until it reaches the VM RAM limit, then it will page.

At this point, your Mac will only be able to use the remaining memory for it's own applications - however if the VM only needs 200MB, then OS X can still use the rest.

Parallels 3.0 really made a lot of improvements to memory management. In fact, if you don't care about gaming, I'd recommend Parallels a lot - certainly over VM Fusion, which gets betrter reviews because of DX9 support and better Linux drivers.

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
jayr41

jayr41 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook 2.2Ghz Intel Core Duo 2 (Santa Rosa) with 1gb (will be upgraded to 4Gb), 120GB hard drive

thanks cwa!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« trying to save an hard drive | Can't eject disc from vista whilst in boot camp »