New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

iMac - How Do I Upgrade 9.2 to X

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

h00ters CEO

h00ters CEO is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac PowerPC G3 350Mhz, 512MB of RAM, OS 9.2.2, 8MB Video Memory

I would like to know how to do this.....

What parts would i need (HD, Processor ect.....)
Whats the easiest way (WITHOUT buying a new one lol....)
If anyone has posted something like this before please let me know and direct me to the post

Thanks....
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

have a look at lowendmac.com

look for your machine and you will find any info on what versions of OS X will work on your set-up

I would advise 1 gig of ram and you may eventually need a hard disk upgrade - see how it goes.

old versions of os x (I am guessing 10.3 will suit you) can be bought off ebay
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

I had an identical model blue iMac and they are a great machine but are showing their age and upgrading is not at all easy. It will handle Panther with 1GB RAM as loiushen recommends.

Upgrading the HDD is a fair cow as it is under a stack of gear which must be removed, and the video card will not handle OS X too well. As much as you love your machine, you will in time consider a move to a G4.
QUOTE Thanks
IanCT

IanCT will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4

You should upgrade your HDD since OSX will take up at least 1 GB if you do a minimal installation. I would recomment against it on a G3 350 because it will be dog slow, even with 512MB. The processor just can't keep up. Jaguar might work better, but I never liked Jaguar.

I have Panther installed on my kids G3 500 DV iMac and it runs okay with 384MB RAM.

I did install Panther on a G4 350 (Yikes configuration) without any issues. On that I'm using a 10GB drive only because it's for email and internet, nothing else.

Like I said, you can do it, but be prepared to go back to 9.2 because it will be intolerably slow, and I don't think you can upgrade the processor with a third-party mod either.

Go on eBay, you can find a G4 B&W machine for pretty cheap.
QUOTE Thanks
h00ters CEO

h00ters CEO is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac PowerPC G3 350Mhz, 512MB of RAM, OS 9.2.2, 8MB Video Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanCT View Post

Go on eBay, you can find a G4 B&W machine for pretty cheap.
That was my next thought. Thanks for all of your help!!!!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Language Packages for Windows? | Problems connecting to the net on Windows only »