New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Can you make a partition 1st (w/Disk Utility) and THEN use Boot Camp/install Windows?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

remain

remain is a jewel in the roughremain is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Power Mac G5 Dual 1.8 GHz

In Leopard, you can create partitions without formatting/deleting everything on the drive, right?

So is it possible to first make a partition with Disk Utility,
then later, use Boot Camp to install Windows on that partition?

Or must the Windows partition be made with Boot Camp?

Cog 0.07 audio player - cogx.org
AAC, AIFF, APE, FLAC, M4A, MP3, MPC, OGG, SHN, WAV, WV, tracker formats,
VG music formats, cue sheets, M3U & PLS, Growl, Last.fm, Apple Remote
Latest Nightly Build (0.08) (new interface!) - Got ideas? Report bugs?
QUOTE Thanks
R1 Lod

R1 Lod is an unknown at this point

Good question... Any takers????
QUOTE Thanks
smartyMAC

smartyMAC will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MB White 160GB, 2GB RAM,

Bootcamp & disk utlity do the same thing as far partitioning is concerned. Only difference being that you can not partition a mounted drive using disk utility. So you need boot camp for partitioning the drive running MAc OS. If you want to partition using disk utility, you need to boot from Mac OS DVD and then partition the drive.

In any case, you dont need boot camp to install the second/third OS. Bootcamp is just a partitioning tool and provides a graphical interface for dual booting... an open source utility named rEFIt provides a much better menu than bootcamp (atleast it shows the OSs correctly. bootcamp assumes that second OS is windows even when it's actually running linux etc)

So once the partition is created all you need to do is boot with the second os cd and then point to the second partition for installation.
QUOTE Thanks
remain

remain is a jewel in the roughremain is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Power Mac G5 Dual 1.8 GHz

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartyMAC View Post
]Only difference being that you can not partition a mounted drive using disk utility. So you need boot camp for partitioning the drive running MAc OS. If you want to partition using disk utility, you need to boot from Mac OS DVD and then partition the drive.
Actually, in Leopard, Disk Utility can partition the HD on which the system is installed while the OS is running.

I formatted my friend's MacBook's hard drive just the other day. Heck, I was able to keep working while it's formatting, though it was really slow. (Safari froze when launched)

I'm mainly asking 'cause my friend wants to use Boot Camp to install Windows, but we have to wait a little while before we can do it.

So I thought about making the partition for Windows first such that the partition is already made and is "set aside."

Didn't want to start putting data on the hard drive, then later run into problems (too much data, need defrag, etc.) when trying to make the Windows partition with Boot Camp.

Cog 0.07 audio player - cogx.org
AAC, AIFF, APE, FLAC, M4A, MP3, MPC, OGG, SHN, WAV, WV, tracker formats,
VG music formats, cue sheets, M3U & PLS, Growl, Last.fm, Apple Remote
Latest Nightly Build (0.08) (new interface!) - Got ideas? Report bugs?
QUOTE Thanks
NPuter

NPuter is a jewel in the roughNPuter is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP

Quote:
Originally Posted by remain View Post
In Leopard, you can create partitions without formatting/deleting everything on the drive, right?

So is it possible to first make a partition with Disk Utility,
then later, use Boot Camp to install Windows on that partition?

Or must the Windows partition be made with Boot Camp?
as far as I know......no
you can't just use disk utility to create the partition
someone else can probably explain this better than I can...but
disk utility does more than just create the windows partition
it modifies the partition map which allows the booting of windows (I don't know the specifics)
I have tried using your method (bypassing bootcamp) and it simply did not work... after windows was done installing and went to boot - the screen read "disk error... press any key to continue"

well... thats as much as I know
someone please correct me if I am worng

"The forums are not only a place to have questions answered, they are a place to be part of a community..."
QUOTE Thanks
smartyMAC

smartyMAC will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MB White 160GB, 2GB RAM,

Quote:
Originally Posted by remain View Post

So I thought about making the partition for Windows first such that the partition is already made and is "set aside."

Didn't want to start putting data on the hard drive, then later run into problems (too much data, need defrag, etc.) when trying to make the Windows partition with Boot Camp.
Well.. with bootcamp you dont need to move data anywhere. You can partition it straight away. You can also use command line hdiutil option to resize your mac partition and create a windows partition.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Bootcamp problems! | Whats up with bootcamp?! »