New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

OS 10.5 - Wiping 10.5 & XP and re-installing 10.5 & Vista

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jhartford6

jhartford6 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro - 2.2GHz, 2GB RAM, 128MB 8600M GT

As I need my laptop (MacBook Pro) right now for classes and what not I will not do this quite yet. However, over Christmas break I hope to wipe my drive entirely and re-install 10.5 / 10.5.1 as well as Boot Camp w/ Vista.

Currently I have XP and 10.5.1.

I know how to delete XP, just go to Boot Camp and change it to 1 partition. However, how do I go about deleting/formatting 10.5 as to wipe it entirely and re-install on top of it? Any way to do a secure format (write all 0's to the hard drive)?

Thanks a ton, I have a lot of work ahead of me over X-Mas break doing all of this and getting all my apps/settings back before classes start again on Jan. 7

I have an external hard drive where I can back up all of my downloads/music/documents, etc. so that is no issue.

The reason for doing all of this is because I did an "upgrade" install and I hate XP now. I want a clean install of both 10.5 and Vista so everything runs smoothly and I have the the two best Operating Systems on my computer. I may even tri-boot with a small partition for Ubuntu but that's a lot of work AFAIK.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Boot from the DVD and then select Disc Utility from the TOOLS menu in the toolbar. Use disc utility to format the drive, selecting the OPTIONS button to do select the write all 0/1 to the drive option.

There is really no need to do this for OSX, it's not Windows.

QUOTE Thanks
goobimama

goobimama is a jewel in the roughgoobimama is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)

Delete XP. Then boot through your Leopard DVD. Select clean install. After Leopard is installed, run the boot camp assistant.
QUOTE Thanks
jhartford6

jhartford6 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro - 2.2GHz, 2GB RAM, 128MB 8600M GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by goobimama View Post
Delete XP. Then boot through your Leopard DVD. Select clean install. After Leopard is installed, run the boot camp assistant.
Seems way too easy, hah. Nice. TY. Will the "Boot Camp" drivers work with Vista as well? I assume they're XP drivers.
QUOTE Thanks
NPuter

NPuter is a jewel in the roughNPuter is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP

yea, the drivers that are included with the leopard disk are xp and vista compatable. Once youre done installing vista, pop in your leopard disk, and the bootcamp/windows dirvers setup will appear.

"The forums are not only a place to have questions answered, they are a place to be part of a community..."
QUOTE Thanks
goobimama

goobimama is a jewel in the roughgoobimama is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)

Welcome to the world of easy...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« virtual pc? | parallels question. »