New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

iMac - Problem with New Keyboard under Windows via Boot camp

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

irvinefan

irvinefan is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 2Ghz, 500GB + Basic Macbook

I have got the new silver thin keyboard, and attached it to my white iMac and have installed the update for it.

When I try to change to windows, you are supposed to hold down alt and i do this but it just loads Mac OS X again, as if it didnt recognise which button i pressed.

Anyone know how I can either change this button or which button I have to convert with?

Any help would be appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
JohnJohn

JohnJohn is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 15" 2.8ghz MBP6,2(4gb) | 20" iMac | 1.8 & 2.0 Mini(4gb) | iPhone4 | iPad-4Wifi

Quote:
Originally Posted by irvinefan View Post
I have got the new silver thin keyboard, and attached it to my white iMac and have installed the update for it.

When I try to change to windows, you are supposed to hold down alt and i do this but it just loads Mac OS X again, as if it didnt recognise which button i pressed.

Anyone know how I can either change this button or which button I have to convert with?

Any help would be appreciated.
I just hold down the "alt" key on my MacBook Pro when I need Vista...never tried it on the external keyboard. However "alt" looks like it needs to have a shift with it. "option" in the default for that key on the full size keyboard.
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

Is Windows still in the startup disk preferences in OS X?
QUOTE Thanks
irvinefan

Yeah it is. Ill start it and try the command button, and get back to you...
QUOTE Thanks
irvinefan

I tried command and nothing - anyone?
QUOTE Thanks
JohnJohn

JohnJohn is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 15" 2.8ghz MBP6,2(4gb) | 20" iMac | 1.8 & 2.0 Mini(4gb) | iPhone4 | iPad-4Wifi

I'm so sorry. I could have swore last night when I replied it said White MacBook.
QUOTE Thanks
irvinefan

Someone must be running boot camp and a silver keyboard!!

Can you tell me which button to press??
QUOTE Thanks
ianfenn

ianfenn is on a distinguished road

Yeah, I'm having the same problem since I got the new keyboard.

I have a Windows XP partition for gaming that I'm now trapped in because the Alt key on the aluminum thin keyboard isn't recognized at boot-up.

I've tried holding Command... ALT... and Shift-Alt during boot-up. No dice.

I've updated the driver thingamajiggers and everything.

Lame... really wish I hadn't tossed the original white plastic one (that they no longer make).

Fail.
QUOTE Thanks
ianfenn

ianfenn is on a distinguished road

Okay, so I've found a workaround should anyone else on the web have the same issue. I haven't found this on the internet anywhere, so hopefully this will be useful to someone.

Simple really...

On the Windows XP task bar in the lower right-hand corner (next to the time), you should see a gray diamond/square shaped icon. If you hover your cursor over it, you'll see that it's for Boot Camp.

Click the Boot Camp icon. You'll now see that there is an option to 'Reboot in Mac OS X' (or whatever OS you are using).

After the system reboot to the Mac partition, select Applications, then Utilities. There is an option called 'Start Up Drive' (or something like that). Set your start-up to Windows and restart.

Now whenever you turn the machine on, it will boot in Windows and you can use the icon on the task bar to go back to Mac. Not as easy as holding down the Alt/Option key are boot-up, but at least you aren't trapped without access to your other partition anymore.

Enjoy.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« XP on BootCamp not recognising full spec? | boot camp / windows / corrupt hard drive »