New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Macbook - Linux triple boot issues - HELP

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jhquest

jhquest is on a distinguished road

Hi All, I've been trying to get Linux onto my Macbook in a triple boot scenario. However, after going thru a lot of howtos and a lot od resrouces, I cannot seem to get linux to work.

Installed MacOSX
Resized volumes using diskutil
Installed Refit
Installed Win XP
Synced GPT/MBR with Refit
********All good so far, I have a fully functional Dual boot system*******

Installed Fedora Core 7, the installation finishes succesfully with GRUB installed on /dev/sda3.
Resync GPT/MBR with Refit.
Reboot and Refit does not see the Linux partition or does not give a option to boot linux.
Reboot holding the ALT key and still no linux option.
Both MacOSX and Windows boot fine via Refit but Linux option does not seem to come up anywhere.
Can boot into the Fedora install with the rescue CD and do everything but I do not want to use the cd each time to boot into linux.
Thought it might be a issue die to windows so redid everything without windows, used Ubuntu this time and still the same problem, cannot see linux under the boot options.

The GPT table
1 EFI system (FAT)
2 HFS+
3 Basic Data
4 Basic Data

The MBR table
1 EFI protactive
2 HFS+
3 Linux
4 FAT32 LBA *
The FAT32 partition has a * against it indicating it is active.

Is there something very obvious I am missing here. Is there any workaround? Has anyone had this working before. Please help, been trying to get this to work since 2 weeks now...
QUOTE Thanks
Ge64

Ge64 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro Santa Rosa 15" 2.4Ghz, 8600M GT 256MB Gfx, 2GB RAM

It sort of sounds like what I got when I tried having 3 primary partitions, you can only have 2. Maybe thats the problem.

www.endlessparadigm.com - forum for fun people

Irssi, client of the future
QUOTE Thanks
smartyMAC

smartyMAC will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MB White 160GB, 2GB RAM,

Try VMware fusion or parallels ..... it supports more number of OSs as long as your disk can support it. I am running Winxp and SuseLinux on VMware Fusion without any issues.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Help please, I need to get files from a hard drive | 8.6 and DSL »