Question Which is better for mac: Vista or XP?
    I'm about to purchase windows for my intel based mac and I don't know if I should buy Windows Vista or Windows XP. I was wondering which route I should take.

Specs:
    Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
    To be honest, XP would be the better choice. It's cheaper, uses fewer resources, and there's pretty much nothing out there that's Vista exclusive, so you don't have to worry about compatibility issues.

June 2007
    July 2009

Specs:
    15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5
    It depends why you're installing Windows. If it's for the occasional use, assuming OS X will be your primary OS, definitely XP.

If you're really into Vista, I would buy a Vista based machine rather than a Mac.
    In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
    - Joan D. Vinge

Specs:
    iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM
    Definitely XP. There have been other threads on this on these forums, but there is very little that is unique to Vista in terms of new meaningful functionality, but there are huge new resource demands. XP will meet all your Windows needs with less demands on your machine. Go there if you have to go Windows.
    My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
    My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
    My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
    I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007

Specs:
    MacBook
    "Which is better for mac: Vista or XP? "

To be honest... OS X is best for Macs.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
    MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
    Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

Specs:
    iMac 24" 2.4 gHz, 2 gb RAM
    I've found Vista sluggish and slow, and somewhat infuriating from time to time, on various PC's I have used. Maybe they will fix it, but as of now, I find it pretty maddening. XP seems to work better. Thus, I loaded XP on my iMac using Boot Camp, and it works pretty well. I wanted to minimize as much as possible the presence of infuriating Windows performance on my beautiful mac, and I thought XP was more likely to accomplish this goal.

Specs:
    Macbook(White), 2.16Ghz Core2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 250GB 5400RPM Scorpio HD, Intel GMA 950
    On my Macbook, vista looks better, just at a GUI stand point. If you are on a laptop, vista has better power customization options such as CPU throttling for better batery life. If you have a new Mac with dedicated graphics and direct x 10 compatibility, you should choose Vista.

Specs:
    20" iMac 2.0 GHz (Aluminum)
    xp is basically windows 2000 with more eye candy..... and (hopefully) improved security.

Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Quote Originally Posted by gazelleintense View Post
    xp is basically windows 2000 with more eye candy..... and (hopefully) improved security.
    The same can be said for XP vs. Vista. The only substantial difference would be DX10 support - and I'm pretty sure that none of the Macs have a DX10-compatible GPU. So, unless you're playing games that artificially require Vista (read: Halo 2, among others), I'd just stick to XP for occasional Windows tasks.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

Specs:
    15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5
    Quote Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
    The same can be said for XP vs. Vista. The only substantial difference would be DX10 support - and I'm pretty sure that none of the Macs have a DX10-compatible GPU. So, unless you're playing games that artificially require Vista (read: Halo 2, among others), I'd just stick to XP for occasional Windows tasks.
    Vista has far better file indexing too, so you get spotlight like features. After using Spotlight, going back to XP and using 'search' is painful.
    In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
    - Joan D. Vinge

Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post
    Vista has far better file indexing too, so you get spotlight like features. After using Spotlight, going back to XP and using 'search' is painful.
    I've read that Google Desktop on XP essentially does the same thing, although I haven't tried it.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

Vista rune perfectly on vmware fusion for me!

Specs:
    27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
    I would say XP because it doesn't have the general hicups and compatibility issues that Vista has right now, and it takes less memory and requires less resources. But eventually Vista will be standard, not to mention DirectX10 and 64 bit support.

Any chance you are or will be a college student? If so, go ahead and pick up both.
    "Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"

Thread Information