New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Which is better for mac: Vista or XP?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

hiphopanonymous

hiphopanonymous is on a distinguished road

I'm about to purchase windows for my intel based mac and I don't know if I should buy Windows Vista or Windows XP. I was wondering which route I should take.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

To be honest, XP would be the better choice. It's cheaper, uses fewer resources, and there's pretty much nothing out there that's Vista exclusive, so you don't have to worry about compatibility issues.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

It depends why you're installing Windows. If it's for the occasional use, assuming OS X will be your primary OS, definitely XP.

If you're really into Vista, I would buy a Vista based machine rather than a Mac.

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

Definitely XP. There have been other threads on this on these forums, but there is very little that is unique to Vista in terms of new meaningful functionality, but there are huge new resource demands. XP will meet all your Windows needs with less demands on your machine. Go there if you have to go Windows.

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

"Which is better for mac: Vista or XP? "

To be honest... OS X is best for Macs.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
PhilS1121

PhilS1121 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 24" 2.4 gHz, 2 gb RAM

I've found Vista sluggish and slow, and somewhat infuriating from time to time, on various PC's I have used. Maybe they will fix it, but as of now, I find it pretty maddening. XP seems to work better. Thus, I loaded XP on my iMac using Boot Camp, and it works pretty well. I wanted to minimize as much as possible the presence of infuriating Windows performance on my beautiful mac, and I thought XP was more likely to accomplish this goal.
QUOTE Thanks
ebotee

ebotee is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook(White), 2.16Ghz Core2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 250GB 5400RPM Scorpio HD, Intel GMA 950

On my Macbook, vista looks better, just at a GUI stand point. If you are on a laptop, vista has better power customization options such as CPU throttling for better batery life. If you have a new Mac with dedicated graphics and direct x 10 compatibility, you should choose Vista.
QUOTE Thanks
gazelleintense

gazelleintense is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.0 GHz (Aluminum)

xp is basically windows 2000 with more eye candy..... and (hopefully) improved security.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazelleintense View Post
xp is basically windows 2000 with more eye candy..... and (hopefully) improved security.
The same can be said for XP vs. Vista. The only substantial difference would be DX10 support - and I'm pretty sure that none of the Macs have a DX10-compatible GPU. So, unless you're playing games that artificially require Vista (read: Halo 2, among others), I'd just stick to XP for occasional Windows tasks.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
The same can be said for XP vs. Vista. The only substantial difference would be DX10 support - and I'm pretty sure that none of the Macs have a DX10-compatible GPU. So, unless you're playing games that artificially require Vista (read: Halo 2, among others), I'd just stick to XP for occasional Windows tasks.
Vista has far better file indexing too, so you get spotlight like features. After using Spotlight, going back to XP and using 'search' is painful.

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post
Vista has far better file indexing too, so you get spotlight like features. After using Spotlight, going back to XP and using 'search' is painful.
I've read that Google Desktop on XP essentially does the same thing, although I haven't tried it.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
iRock

iRock will become famous soon enough

Vista rune perfectly on vmware fusion for me!
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

I would say XP because it doesn't have the general hicups and compatibility issues that Vista has right now, and it takes less memory and requires less resources. But eventually Vista will be standard, not to mention DirectX10 and 64 bit support.

Any chance you are or will be a college student? If so, go ahead and pick up both.

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« College Dilemma: Need a solution for running IE 6.0 | Vista to XP without Bootcamp reinstall »