New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Paragon NTFS for Mac OS X Public Beta Testing

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Anatoly

Anatoly is on a distinguished road

Hi mac57,

I have corrected the link. Thanks for the remark.

Frankly speaking, I can't find the review made by Linux Format magazine.
Could you please post a link?

Wish you success when using Ext2FS for Windows. I believe you will be satisfied.

Thanks,
Anatoly.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Have installed NTFS for Mac OS X and so far have only experimented.

I have XP Pro set up with an NTFS partition via Bootcamp and use it primarily for... let's just say, files larger than 4GB.

I am now able to browse my NTFS partition from within a Finder window and:
1) delete/move files to the trash - one of the easiest deletions of the infamous index.dat file
2) re-organise the XP file structure - move files/folders around on the partition
3) download Win executables while in OS X and then move them to the NTFS partition
4) have also moved files from my external HFS+ drive to the NTFS partition

So far, all has worked as if it were an inherent ability within OS X with no interaction on my part other than installing the software. (Moved a 7GB file from my external HFS+ drive to the Bootcamp partition - and while I did not put a stopwatch on it - it seemed to be as fast as moving files between my HFS drives.)

Had downloaded and tried MediaFour's MacDrive in XP. It also worked great - but due to it's price decided to find workarounds for the small bit of interaction I wanted to do between my NTFS and HFS local partitions on my MBP.

Paragon's NTFS for Mac OS X - at a $20 price point, Paragon gets my $$ just for the convenience. For those only needing access between NTFS and HFS+ on their Mac, this looks like the way to go.

And, except for those that need access to IE only sites, but just on occasion are wanting to download a Win .exe file, it can now be done while in OS X and just save or move the file to your XP partition. This would totally eliminate the need for using a browser from within windows. This in itself could end the practice of Spybot and AVG on your Bootcamped partition.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

Hi Anatoly, unfortunately, I can't post a link to the Linux Format review - I get the hard copy print version of the magazine and I simply read the article on paper - how archaic!

Thanks for correcting the link to the performance article. I will have a browse through! Cheers.

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
Anatoly

Anatoly is on a distinguished road

Dear Forum Visitors,

Please let us know your feedback regarding this new software. We believe any software has bugs, especially a beta version. The release date is soon and we want to release software that will be a really useful tool for every Mac user.

Thanks in advance,
Anatoly.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Anatoly - I've been using your product for about a week now and haven't encountered any problems whatsoever. I have primarily read and written to an NTFS-formatted external hard disk. I have yet to test it with another drive.

My machine is a MacBook Pro, 2.0GHz Core Duo with 2GB of RAM and a 120GB HDD.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
ssunday

ssunday is on a distinguished road

Just d/l'ed it and will try it out.

In case you dont know, Paragon is very well respected in the computer forensics industry. They have been around for a long time.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Anatoly,

I have read thru the other forum where you are testing and have not noticed nor been able to duplicate any of the issues being reported there on my MBP.

For those interested in speed comparisons - Just completed a timed test to compare write speeds.
Moving a 4.36GB .iso file from my external HFS+ via FW800:
to MacIntosh HD: 3 min 00 sec
to Bootcamp XP: 3 min 31 sec

For me, that is very acceptable time for the convenience of inter-operability.

While in OS X - have also experimented with moving files to the trash from the XP partition, booting back and forth and then restoring the files back into XP without incident.

QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

Folks, just as a side note, I have now purchased, D/L'd and installed Paragon's Ext2FS Everywhere product, which allows pretty much every vintage of Windows 9x and Windows XP/Vista to read/write the mainstream Linux file system ext2/3. I am pleased to report that it is working well. I haven't done any exhaustive testing yet, but I can read and write files, create and delete directories, get volume information and so on. A very good start. Nice job Paragon!

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
Ge64

Ge64 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro Santa Rosa 15" 2.4Ghz, 8600M GT 256MB Gfx, 2GB RAM

Wow, thanks! I was just trying to partition my internal drive with one Mac partition, one NTFS partition for windows and one Fat32 partition for shared files but I couldnt get it done. With this I dont need to! THANKS! This really is great, I'm looking forward to the release and maybe some partitioning tools for mac?

www.endlessparadigm.com - forum for fun people

Irssi, client of the future
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

Anatoly,

Is your team also working on being able to write to HFS from within windows also or are you leaving that to MediaFour?

QUOTE Thanks
robtg

robtg has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: IMac, Intel core 2 duo, 2.16 GHz 1 GB Mem.

I have been transfering files between win 2000 notebook to intel imac to external hd without problems. I like it, thanks.--robtg
QUOTE Thanks
hagios1972

hagios1972 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook black, Intel C2D 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 320GB WD Scorpio HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobywuk View Post
i am a recent switcher. i have never tried writing data to an NTFS formated drive before so i dont know what it would do with out your software. I just tried installing your software just now and the process was very easy. I just tried writing to my external USB NTFS formated drive and it worked flawlessly. I have never tried writing to it before but did just now and im guessing it is your software that i just installed that let me do it. If this is so... I Love it
I was having problems with saving files in my external Hitachi 40GB HD but after installing the Paragorn NTFS for Mac OS Beta and doing it again it went flawlessly. Great stuff ...
QUOTE Thanks
tripz1196

tripz1196 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15'' MBP Santa Rosa, 2.2 , 8600M GT, 120GB 5400RPM, DL DVD+/-RW SuperDrive

Do we get a free copy of it like MediaFour did for MacDrive beta testers?

MacBook Pro 15'' Santa Rosa
The BEST computer I ever owned PERIOD
QUOTE Thanks
hagios1972

hagios1972 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook black, Intel C2D 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 320GB WD Scorpio HD

BTW, I plan to get an IOMEGA 320 external HD and use it for my back up using SuperDuper. I have installed Paragorn NTFS for Mac OS beta in my MacBook. My question is this - do I have to format the IOMEGA HD to NTFS format? If so how? or do I just have to plug and play? I haven't done any formatting before so forgive my ignorance. Many thanks for the help. Cheers ...
QUOTE Thanks
tripz1196

tripz1196 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15'' MBP Santa Rosa, 2.2 , 8600M GT, 120GB 5400RPM, DL DVD+/-RW SuperDrive

I haven't played around with the Paragon software yet but can't you just access a friend/work computer and format with NTFS on XP/Vista?

EDIT:
Haha, forget the resizePartition tool, it can only do FAT, not NTFS, my bad.

MacBook Pro 15'' Santa Rosa
The BEST computer I ever owned PERIOD
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Vista Home Premium Booting Problems | Re-install OS9 in a Mirror G4? »