New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Back from PC BON-BON AND SUGARPLUM LAND

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ellisvalin

ellisvalin is on a distinguished road

Long ago, when I first started my design career, I worked on Macs and life was good. Very good.

Then I moved to Houston and found that a lot of companies couldn't see the logic of buying a Mac and outfitted designers with PCs. And when my Mac got old, my husband replaced with a PC! Horrific I know!

I'm getting ready to change jobs and my new company is an all Mac office! (fanfare music please). I am so excited to finally be out of PC h3!!. I have served my time and don't plan on ever going back!

Ok so what did I miss?

Can someone bring me up to speed on cool new software (just found about Keynotes! OMG!). What are must haves? I'm already Quark/Photoshop/Illustrator proficient and will be so happy to work in these programs on a Mac again. Should I convert to InDesign? What kind of cool animation software is out there.

Thanks everybody!

Glad to be back!

Woohoo!
QUOTE Thanks
iKitten

iKitten is just really niceiKitten is just really niceiKitten is just really niceiKitten is just really niceiKitten is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac | 2.16 Ghz | 2 GB ram | 232.44 HD | OSX 10.4.11

Welcome back to MacLand (and welcome to Mac-Forums)! I can't fill you in (too new), but I couldn't pass up the celebration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostshadow View Post
Girls with macs are so cute.
"Suffer the little children..." compassion.com
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Welcome back - how long have you been away from Macs? A LOT has changed.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-Forums, ellisvalin!

Ok the last Mac OS you used was 7.5.3? Earlier? Later? You'll be quite lost with OS X, I'm afraid. Do you have an idea of what your new workplace will be using, by any chance? Is it Mac OS X Tiger (10.4.x)? Is it Mac OS X Panther (10.3.x)?

It might help us if you gave us details.

If the workplace runs on OS X Tiger, I would suggest you get a book called Mac OS X, Tiger Edition: The Missing Manual by David Pogue: it'll be a big help to get you reacquainted with the Mac's contemporary OS.
QUOTE Thanks
ellisvalin

Yep, my last memory of working on a Mac was OS7 and I will ask which OS the new company is working on. Thank you guys so much. I know I've missed a lot. Sigh. My current office has such an anti-Mac climate it's unreal. The head guy is a number crusher of the highest degree and I doubt there's a creative bone in their body. It has been rough to say the least. I'll get that info for you and get back with you all. Thank you so much.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisvalin View Post
The head guy is a number crusher of the highest degree and I doubt there's a creative bone in their body.

I crunch numbers on my Macs also. My Core Duo Intel Mini does a quite good job at that!

Welcome back. Glad you are getting into a job where it sounds like you will be happy again!

If we can help you in any way, let us know.
QUOTE Thanks
ellisvalin

I got an email from our Mac guru...
...Mac OS 10.4 (Tiger), and they typically use the following software:

Apple iWork 08 (Pages, Keynote and Numbers)
Apple iLife 08 (iTunes, iPhoto, iMovie, iDVD, iWeb and Garage Band)
Microsoft Office 2004 (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Entourage for email)
Adobe Creative Suite CS3 (Photoshop, Illustrator, In Design, Dreamweaver, Flash and Acrobat)
Apple Final Cut Pro for video
So I'll definitely be getting the recommended Mac OSX Tiger book to get myself reacquainted.

I am truly excited about this position. It's really the creative position I've always wanted and with an agency no less. I'm going to renew my subscriptions to all the design magazines, join my local art directors club.

My current gig just sucked all the creative life out of me. But without my current job I wouldn't be the preferred and only candidate for my new gig because the industry is highly desirable.

So the truly creative juices are flowing again and I'm so excited. Heck I'm near tears.

Thanks everybody!

And to my number crunching friend on a Mac...you rock. I knew it was possible to do both! LOL!
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Good luck and keep us posted, ok?
QUOTE Thanks
ellisvalin

Will do!
QUOTE Thanks
MBNick

MBNick is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 13.3" MacBook Black

I left the PC's 2 weeks ago, I haven't looked back.

I left Windows because I was fed up with the reboot's and crashes. Oh and the spyware!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Zune | 80GB NTFS partition on Macbook possible? »