New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Is this possible?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

todd51

It's not a big deal, but I found a few extra hard drives I have laying around unused. My plan is to take one of the internal IDE drives and put it in an external bay.

Then I would want to install Windows XP on the external and have it run with bootcamp on my MBP. I don't want to touch my MBP's internal hard drive partition. I would rather run a few older PC games off of an external drive. I think this may be possible since the drive is really an internal one, just in an external bay. However, I'm looking for some advice on how to go about this, or if it just won't work.

Any tips?

Thanks!!
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

I don't think it will work. Windows insists on being installed in the first partition of the first hard drive of the machine. Unless someone knows some way to fool it, this will stop your otherwise excellent plan from working.

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

By "external bay" I'm going to assume you mean an external enclosure that's connected via Firewire or USB. Unfortunately, Boot Camp doesn't allow you to boot from an external drive, so your plan is doomed to fail from the start.

Now if this were a second hard drive connected internally, the plan would work.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
todd51

Well I appreciate the replies guys, thanks for the information!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« The Command Console | Boot Camp and Windows Vista »