New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Vista 32bit or 64bit Via Bootcamp and VMWare

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

amardilo

amardilo is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.0GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HDD

Can anyone recommend which version of Vista Ultimate I should go for (32bit or 64bit)?

I want to partition a small part of my MacBook Pro's hard drive to install Vista and I am unsure which version to buy.

I need Vista Ultimate and need will mainly use Vista to run IIS, ASPP.NET apps, Visual Studio 2005 (and 2003 and 2007/2008 when that arrives) and to play around with the OS.

I currently have VMWare installed so I also want to be able to boot into my Vista partition and use that super cool unity feature when possible. Does anyone know if Unity works with Vista (and if so which version) and if Unity works with a Bootcamp partition?

I know all the app I require will run on the 32bit edition but I was wondering if there is any advantage to try out the 64bit version?

I also heard a few things about the differences and can anyone tell me if they are true?

1. The 64bit version of Vista may not work on Bootcamp?

2. The only advantage of having the 64bit version would be that it would use all 4GB of RAM available on my machine whereas the 32bit version will only use 3GB (or even just use 1 2GB stick in my machine).

3. Not all Vista Vista software works on the 64bit edition.
QUOTE Thanks
thecatfish34

thecatfish34 is on a distinguished road

From the bootcamp setup guide:

You must use a single full-install Windows installation disc (Service Pack 2
is required for Windows XP installations). Do not use an upgrade version of Windows
and do not install an earlier version of Windows XP and attempt to update it later to
SP2. Use only 32-bit versions of Windows.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« okay I just want to run one game | So will a OEM version of Windows work »