New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Anyone play Bioshock via BootCamp ?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

techmonkey

techmonkey is on a distinguished road

I played the demo on my MacBook Pro the other day, decided to purchase it from Circuit City tonight for $39.99.

Anyone know if I can update my graphics drivers with the latest from Nvidias site, or do I have to use the Bootcamp drivers?
QUOTE Thanks
dtech

dtech is on a distinguished road

I too want to know if downloading the new drivers via the nvidia website is possible...I have the 2.4ghz 15" macbook pro as well.
QUOTE Thanks
techmonkey

techmonkey is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtech View Post
I too want to know if downloading the new drivers via the nvidia website is possible...I have the 2.4ghz 15" macbook pro as well.
I tried using the nvidia drivers from their website, doesnt work. When trying to install, it states "Cannot find compatible hardware".

Guess I will download the latest BootCamp drivers.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

My brother plays Bioshock on his new iMac, works great at Medium Settings (on High it gets choppy when the action starts).

I tried the ATi drivers, but like you said, they didn't work. Though the Boot Camp drivers do a pretty good job.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
Mac_Biodiesel

Mac_Biodiesel is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, 2.4GHz Core2Duo, 4GB RAM, 200GB 7200 RPM, OS 10.5

I have a brand new 15" MBP with Leopard and Bootcamp w/ XP. XP is fully updated. A Windows game says that it thinks my graphics drivers (8600M GT) are outdated.

My question is, do I manage those drivers through Leopard or XP? In other words, should I use XP to download the drivers directly from NVIDIA, or should I do this through the MacOS side? I'm a bit confused since Bootcamp put them on there to begin with.
QUOTE Thanks
ashkonee01

ashkonee01 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac G5 20in 2gb Ram.Macbook Pro 15in 2GB RAM

DONT update your drivers from the Nvidia page. When i did that i got BSODs non stop. Boot camp's drivers are great.
QUOTE Thanks
halfwit

halfwit is on a distinguished road

I called the company and asked if Bioshock would work on an Intel Mac and they said no, the DVD drive is different. I explained all about Boot Camp and everything, but they still said no, forget it. So I'm stunned somebody has it working.

I stupidly bought Bioshock before checking. I have a Mac Book Pro running Leopard. I have VMWare Fusion running with Windows XP, but don't have Boot Camp running yet. Tried to at least have a look at the game using Fusion, but it failed as soon as it tried to access the DVD. Is there some secret to getting it working?
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future

There is nothing different about the optical drive on a Mac compared to a PC. That guy you spoke to on the phone is an idiot.

A Mac's hardware is essentially the same as any PC, so if you install Windows via Boot Camp, you can get anything to work on it like you would on a similarly specced PC. I would suggest installing Windows via Boot Camp and then installing BioShock. I guarantee that it'll work.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
halfwit

Good news, thanks. I'll give it a try.
QUOTE Thanks
lexsecks

lexsecks is on a distinguished road

is it possible to get bioshock to work on a macbook, even just a little bit?
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Highly doubtful. BioShock is a pretty intense game and needs at least some sort of dedicated video card to work at even the lowest settings. On-board video doesn't stand a chance at performing a similar task.

You could always install Windows and then try out the demo, though if I were to guess, it's not going to work.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
halfwit

It worked on my MBP. I'm just using the Boot Camp drivers and everything seems great. Game looks awesome.
QUOTE Thanks
northy124

northy124 can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: 2.16 GHz C2D, 1GB Ram, MacBook White

I've updated all my drivers on the mac windoze partition
QUOTE Thanks
Mac_Biodiesel

Mac_Biodiesel is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, 2.4GHz Core2Duo, 4GB RAM, 200GB 7200 RPM, OS 10.5

Looks like if you want to update your Boot Camp video drivers you should go through Apple. Here's the latest .exe I found from them. Anyone know of a more recent one?

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=306891
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Quesiton about Bootcamp | newbie ? about running windows »