New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

parallels to vmware fusion?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Ramacher

Ramacher is on a distinguished road

So i've been running into issues with xp via parallels on my macbook (dlls, can't locate drives, random error messages).

My main reason for needing xp is to install apps and flash/upgrade my windows mobile phone... now in addition to this i need to install SolidWorks for my Engineering CAD class.

i haven't installed it yet but i don't think parallels is gonna be up for the challenge so i'm considering vmware fusion...

what are your thoughts to those that have used both?

i've read fusion is better in handling graphics and that sort (which is definately good for solidworks) but what about USB drives and the cd drive?

thanks in advance!
QUOTE Thanks
ItsMeDave

ItsMeDave is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.16Ghz Core2Due 20" iMac - 2Gb RAM - wireless Mac KB - wireless MX610 mouse

Hi Ramacher,

I tried parallels when I first switched to a Mac (it's been 3-4 months now) and I got a lot of crashes and failed installs so I turfed it and went with the fusion beta. Fusion has worked so well that I bought the full version when it came out a few weeks back. I run Ubuntu and WinXP with no problems. USB and CD drive access is perfect. I can sync my Pearl and Garmin GPS to WinXP without a problem. I'm also running a VPN client and connecting to a corporate network.

Two thumbs up for Fusion.

cheers
QUOTE Thanks
Ramacher

Ramacher is on a distinguished road

Sounds good!

Don't know why but after i made that post all my problems disappeared... odd huh?

I just finished installing Solid Works and looks like parallels can handle it.. i tested it with a a simple 3D design and started spinning it around and it didn't jitter/lag/skip much at all... I'm gonna stick with parallels for now cuz everythings working but when it starts acting up again i'll definately make the switch (my schedule is too hectic right now to sit down 4 hours or so on my computer to redo everything!)

Thanks again for your input!
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

Remember that Parallels doesn't take advantage of duo processors and VMware does, so your programs will run faster under Fusion. Check out my thread in the subforum which links to speed tests performed by CNET.

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks
ItsMeDave

ItsMeDave is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.16Ghz Core2Due 20" iMac - 2Gb RAM - wireless Mac KB - wireless MX610 mouse

I agree with fleurya regarding performance, WinXP runs super fast on fusion.
QUOTE Thanks
ArmyChief

ArmyChief will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.0Ghz C2D 2GB RAM 250GB HD & Superdrive

Fusion's got my vote, and my money! I bought it in pre-release. It's been working great for me. I haven't run anything to intense yet, but, I'm very happy with it. Love the Unity mode!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« So will a OEM version of Windows work | Service Pack 2 not necessary for Bootcamp install »