New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Trouble installing any operating system..

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

iBeldar

iBeldar will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: '08 White MB 2.1ghz - 4GB- 120GB- Superdrive - Snow Leopard

I bought an iMac G3 today. All I know it has 384MB of RAM, its bondi blue, tray load. Had a bad HD, flashing questionmark... Replaced it with another HD.

All the installers see the HD, and will "Initialize" it. Then install just fine, then won't boot up into the OS after restart.

I tried OS 9.1 first, it came up, installed fine, rebooted and got a flashing question mark.

Then tried OS 8.5 (original software install), and it did the same, only couldn't install internet features either.

Now I wiped the HD and im using the original 8.5 software restore disk. Seems to be working, just got to install firmware updates.

What would cause none of the systems to boot?

White Penryn Macbook 08'
2.1GHZ C2D - 4GB RAM - 120GB HD - Combo Drive - Snow Leopard - Windows 7 Professional
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

How large is the new HDD? There is a 8GB or around limit for the Boot Partition on the Tray Load iMacs.

After I see your answer I will show you what to do.

Edit:

Mac OS X

If you have a hard drive over 8 GB in size, you must partition it, and the partition containing OS X must be completely within the first 8 GB of space or you will not be able to run OS X. (If you are creating the partition within OS X, it must be 7.45 GB or smaller as reported by Disk Utility, because sometimes a GB is billion bytes and sometimes it's 1,073,741,824 bytes.)

http://www.lowendmac.com/imacs/imac-d.shtml
QUOTE Thanks
iBeldar

The new HD is 20GB. I would like to have flash player so I guess I need to install OSX unless OS 9.1 supports flash. Do I need to install any firmware updates first?

After using system restore, it still wont boot.

I took the HD, made a 7.99 GB partition, and then a 10.71 GB partition for OSX Jaguar. Its installing, but it will take about 2 and a half hours.

White Penryn Macbook 08'
2.1GHZ C2D - 4GB RAM - 120GB HD - Combo Drive - Snow Leopard - Windows 7 Professional
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBeldar View Post
The new HD is 20GB. I would like to have flash player so I guess I need to install OSX unless OS 9.1 supports flash. Do I need to install any firmware updates first?

After using system restore, it still wont boot.
I told you at the end of my other post what needs to be done. 2 Partitions. Old Tray Loading iMacs are all that way.

9.1 is basically worthless and no good browsers at all. Make the 1st partition 7.45 GB then another with the rest of the space. Only way it will ever boot from OSX. Unless you can install and boot up OS 9 you really can't tell what the Firmware revision is nor the CPU speed so we can see just what model it is. Tray Loaders though need a 8GB (7.45 GB) First boot partition.

Do you have a bootable OS 9.1 CD? If so, boot from it and look on there for System Info. See if you can find the Firmware revision.

If after you make the 7.45 GB partition and install OSX, it still will not boot, something else is wrong, but that should fix it.

If not let us know.

Edit: I just booted my iMac Tray Load with my 9.2 Install CD. Could not find System Profiler.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

Any luck so far?
QUOTE Thanks
iBeldar

So far, everything installs, but doesn't boot. Would it be a problem with the HD?

Right now im trying OS 9.1 again.

White Penryn Macbook 08'
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

Quote:
So far, everything installs, but doesn't boot. Would it be a problem with the HD?

Right now im trying OS 9.1 again.
Did you make the 7.45 GB boot partition on the 20GB drive? It could be Firmware also causing the OSX non boot issues but you need a working OS 9 or later to upgrade it! Check that URL, I think they said 8.6 will work to upgrade Firmware in case that is the issue.
QUOTE Thanks
iBeldar

Nothing works. Everything installs just fine, nothing actually boots. I hold down the option key on startup, the boot option won't come up either. I may have put it in a firmware trap, but I think this computer has had OSX on it before. She gave me OSX 10.1 and 10.2 disks. I sent an email asking if she has had OSX on it and if the old HD crashed after installing OSX.

I was surprised that after I took it apart, there was a 40GB 7200RPM HD in it. She must've upgraded to OSX at some point.

I noticed that with every OS I installed, it flashed the question mark/mac logo, but then it goes to a mac logo and hangs forever. Then goes back to a flashing ?.

Yesterday the HD in the iMac was in my PC, it had sabayon linux installed on it and it worked fine. I don't think having Linux on the HD previously would cause any problems, it never has caused a problem before.

White Penryn Macbook 08'
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

Quote:
Nothing works. Everything installs just fine, nothing actually boots. I hold down the option key on startup, the boot option won't come up either.

I noticed that with every OS I installed, it flashed the question mark/mac logo, but then it goes to a mac logo and hangs forever. Then goes back to a flashing ?.

Yesterday the HD in the iMac was in my PC, it had sabayon linux installed on it and it worked fine.
You have that under 8GB partition correct?

Power up the iMac and hold COMMAND-OPTION-P-R and keep those 4 keys down till you hear 2 startup chimes then let go. See if it boots then.
QUOTE Thanks
Mac SK

Mac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the rough

Firmwear...Firmwear..If your not useing the orange Imac install dics theres no firmwear and your lucky the video still comes up. On an other Mac download the firmwear for your Imac and burn it to a dics and load it in the Imac its self
extracting and read the instuctions to push the programers button.
If you install 10 with out the right firmwear update you can kill the Imac,Its called death by 10,and the unix code burns up the video chip.
QUOTE Thanks
iBeldar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac SK View Post
Firmwear...Firmwear..If your not useing the orange Imac install dics theres no firmwear and your lucky the video still comes up. On an other Mac download the firmwear for your Imac and burn it to a dics and load it in the Imac its self
extracting and read the instuctions to push the programers button.
If you install 10 with out the right firmwear update you can kill the Imac,Its called death by 10,and the unix code burns up the video chip.
If thats the case, then it must have the right firmware. It installed just fine, video comes up just fine, everything works just fine. It just won't boot....

CMD-OPT-P-R didn't do anything for it.

EDIT!: Firmware is up to date. The installer for the iMac Firmware 1.2 was on the OS 9.1 disk. I tried to update it and it said the firmware was already up to date.

OSX 10.1 won't boot either... It hangs at the folder/mac icon.

White Penryn Macbook 08'
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

How is the hard drive set jumpered? Master? Slave? Cable Select?
QUOTE Thanks
iBeldar

Wow... I dunno. It is probably slave. When it was in my PC I couldn't get the linux boot loader to come up because it was on the linux HD. It would just boot to XP.

Even if I open Startup Disk Utilities and select the HD, it still won't boot if its set to slave?

I'll have to take it apart again to set it...

White Penryn Macbook 08'
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

What brand and model is that 20GB? I just found an article that says it should be set at Single Master. Some WD drives have that setting by taking off all jumpers. I took my 333Mhz iMac Tray Load apart, WD drive and it's set to Single. They said it would not boot unless it was set that way. The old iMacs are very picky.
QUOTE Thanks
iBeldar

That was it. It was set to something else, so I set it to master, and it started right up.

White Penryn Macbook 08'
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Boot Camp isn't compatable with New imac! | Anyone know of a program...? »