New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Samba File Server Renames Directories

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

bgearig

bgearig is on a distinguished road

This isn't actually something running on the Mac iteself, but this is the most closely related board category I could find. Sorry for any confusion...

I have installed an Ubuntu/Samba file-server. It runs on Ubuntu Fiesty 7.04. There are 3 Macs that access it. I believe two are either OSX or OS9 and one is for sure OSX. They are copying a bunch of files to the server from the Macs. It seems that some directories are copied and then renamed to something random such as DG0909~J... Then, I login to the Ubuntu/Samba box and go to the shared directory, and do a 'dir' command. It says the directory is labelled as 'Dee Lundy', like it should be. But when I try to 'cd' into that directory, it says it doesn't exist. So I rename the folder from the Mac...from 'DG0909~J' back to 'Dee Lundy' like it should be. I then tried the 'cd' command again on the Ubuntu/Samba box into the 'Dee Lundy' directory and now it is recognized as valid. I tried copying the files from the Mac to a Windows box, and THEN copying from the Windows box to the Ubuntu/Samba box. The same directory that was renamed previously was named correctly from the Window's box...except for an odd looking character at the end. This is a problem because I must have the original directory names for these files to work (they are mostly website files and depend on the structure). I can't go through and find and fix every renamed directory in a 80GB set of files.

What can I do?
QUOTE Thanks
huggy77

huggy77 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 17" mac book (intel) & 4 gb iphone

good question - i am having some of the same issues as well... I installed appletalk on my linux server and it helped a bit... but i still get this problem... When this happens with appletalk, i reboot the mac and the files look ok... i dont think it is the rebooting, but rather the reconnecting via a network protocol
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Parallels build 5160 | Maya 8 problems »