New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Bootcamp: accessing data from other OS

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

tobywuk

tobywuk can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: Black macbook 2.16ghz 2GB Ram 160GB hdd | 8Gb Ipod Nano

If i was to use Bootcamp to use Windows Vista/XP, While in this operating system is it possible to access data that i may have saved in the OSX partitioned operating system with out having to reboot into that OS? And vice versa if i am in OSX and need to access data from the windows partition?
QUOTE Thanks
Neo

Neo is a jewel in the roughNeo is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: white MB 2.16GHz 3GB 320GB 10.6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobywuk View Post
If i was to use Bootcamp to use Windows Vista/XP, While in this operating system is it possible to access data that i may have saved in the OSX partitioned operating system with out having to reboot into that OS? And vice versa if i am in OSX and need to access data from the windows partition?
I too am a recent switcher, running XP in Boot Camp. From the OS X desktop, you can access both partitions. On the Windows side, I can only see the Windows partition.
Caveat: if your Windows partition is formatted as NTFS, OS X can read (but NOT write to) the Windows partition. I had a big problem arise because of that fact, so after being required to reimage my Windows partition, my Windows is FAT. This allows maintenance on your Windows partition from the Mac side.
Good luck.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

To be able to fully read/write the Windows partition from within OS X, the Windows partition must be formatted as FAT32, for as Neo said, OS X can only read a NTFS partition, not write to it.

Windows, however, is not able to natively read the OS X HFS+ partition. You'll need to get a program called MacDrive to enable that functionality.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
tobywuk

tobywuk can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: Black macbook 2.16ghz 2GB Ram 160GB hdd | 8Gb Ipod Nano

can windows be installed on a fat32 partition? If so is there an option to do this with bootcamp and would this be better?
QUOTE Thanks
BlackCivic

BlackCivic is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 13" white 2.16Ghz, 2Gb ram, 120gb hd

windows can be installed on a fat32 partition and when you do the install for windows you will get the options to either do a NTFS format, or FAT32... You will want the either the FAT32 format or FAT32 quick format
QUOTE Thanks
Thundermoon1994

Thundermoon1994 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro w/ 2.4 GHz C2D, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB

Is there a way to change the way it is formatted? I used NTFS, but now am wishing I had used FAT32.
QUOTE Thanks
Thundermoon1994

Thundermoon1994 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro w/ 2.4 GHz C2D, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB

Well, I found the answer to my own question. You can right click on the hard drive in my computer. Unfortunately, I didn't figure that out until I'd already fixed the problem by reinstalling the OS and reformatting.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« bootcamp on external h-d? | College Dilemma: Need a solution for running IE 6.0 »