New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

how to run windows applications on a macbook

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Digitalsoul

Digitalsoul has a little shameless behaviour in the past

hi, is it possible to run windows application, with the help of a third party application without installing ugly window on my beautiful macbook? I really don want to install windows, so i am hoping there is a way i can install windows application, without the help of windows runing on my macbook. pls help....thanks....
QUOTE Thanks
sanity1082

sanity1082 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: macbook/iphone/ipod nano/ipod shuffle

I have not tried the program yet but Fusion offers the abilty to run windows programs http://www.apple.com/downloads/macos...es/fusion.html you may want to check it out. The link will take you to a 30 day trial
QUOTE Thanks
israelvalenciac

israelvalenciac is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.16 GHz C2D, 1GB RAM, 320 HDD, Superdrive, Mighty Mouse

What Application you want to run?... if it's a Microsoft suit or any other poppular software you can run it with Crossover. If you're trying to install something a bit more complex i.e. a game or anything else that requires VB or DirectX or whatever Windows programs use, try Parallels Desktop ... Good luck!

+Macbook; 2.16 GHz, 2GB Ram, 320 HDD, SuperDrive.
+Mighty Mouse Bluetooth.
+iPod Video Black 30GB.
+iPod Nano White 2 GB
QUOTE Thanks
locoender

locoender is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Black MacBook 2.0GHz Intel C2D 2GB RAM 120GB Hard Drive

If you go with crossover, you will be left with limited possibilities, not all apps are supported by it. Installing windows with fusion or parallels would be better, and I think the apps would work better under the emulator.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Nothing to do with hardware.
Moving to appropriate forum.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

I know you don't want to install Windows, but have you taken a look at the Cohesion feature offered by Parallels? It's a great way to blend Windows programs into OS X, especially once you install a OS X theme in Windows.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
James

James is a jewel in the roughJames is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2.66 - 4 Gig Ram, iMac G5 2 Gig ram 20"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitalsoul View Post
hi, is it possible to run windows application, with the help of a third party application without installing ugly window on my beautiful macbook? I really don want to install windows, so i am hoping there is a way i can install windows application, without the help of windows runing on my macbook. pls help....thanks....
As far as i know the only possible way is a program called Crossover. It has been around for awhile in the linux community and might possibly run one for you under OS X, but it will be very limited as to what it will do.

Other than that you will have to use Parallels, or Boot Camp or some other such program that will require installing XP.

Mac Pro Intel 2.66 - 4 Gigs Ram - 10.6.1 - 30" Apple Monitor
iMac 24" 2 gigs ram - MacBook Pro
QUOTE Thanks
smurfy

smurfy can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: 20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kash View Post
I know you don't want to install Windows, but have you taken a look at the Cohesion feature offered by Parallels? It's a great way to blend Windows programs into OS X, especially once you install a OS X theme in Windows.
Cohesion? Uh. You mean Coherence.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfy View Post
Cohesion? Uh. You mean Coherence.
LOL, that's what I get for responding at 4AM

Thanks for the catch

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« uninstall boot camp to load parallels | Mac OS9 problem »