Thread: Mac OS9 problem

Mac OS9 problem
    Hi,

i was wondering if anybody knows how i can install Mac OS9 onto my powermac G4 Quicksilver with out deleting Mac OSX Tiger. i have tiger on my mac but i am buying a new processor for my mac and to install the processor i have to run an application in mac os9 however i accidently deleted mac os9 when i installed tiger. is there a way i can reinstall mac os9 with out deleting my mac osx and without deleting all of my files?

Thanks

I'm sorry I can't help you. Hopefully someone else will be able. I'm just curious why you would want to do that. OS9 is something like ten years old?

Specs:
    12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
    http://docs.info.apple.com/article.h.../en/mh763.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Fairly View Post
    I'm sorry I can't help you. Hopefully someone else will be able. I'm just curious why you would want to do that. OS9 is something like ten years old?
    Quote Originally Posted by fieccle01 View Post
    ... i have to run an application in mac os9 ...

You can install and run OS 9 on the OS X partition or drive, but it isn't recommended because you wouldn't be able to fix 9 with any third-party app, such as Norton Disk Doctor or Disk Warrior.

Any third-party System 9 repair app would destroy the OS X installation.

ok then thanks. seems like im a little screwed lol

You could partition the drive, and put 9 on the other partition so you could run the necessary repair apps. But that means nuking your OS X install and all your files. You'd have to do a backup, first.

Cool sorted thanks
    i think i might just do that. ive got a nice 1tb harddisk so ill back it all up and reinstall everything.
    thanks for the advice.

If the disk has enough room, you could slice it into three partitions, with OS X on one, and 9 in each of the other two.

One of the System 9 installs could be small and rock-bottom basic but also contain a repair app or two, such as Norton Utilities and Disk Warrior. It's a heckuva lot easier keeping the main 9 partition running properly and defragged when it can be maintained and repaired from the other partition, rather than from a bootable DVD.

Specs:
    17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
    Quote Originally Posted by Brown Study View Post
    You could partition the drive, and put 9 on the other partition so you could run the necessary repair apps. But that means nuking your OS X install and all your files. You'd have to do a backup, first.
    Yes you can but then if I remember corectly either classic or natively booting into OS 9 just wouldn't work. Everything worked when I installed it onto the same partition as OS X. I can't remember which but I know one happened. Even if you wanted to you could install it on another machine and copy all the files over into a folder in your OS X partition. But it should be in the front of the hard drive. As in when you just open up that partition by double clicking it it should be there. And it worked for me.

Quote Originally Posted by the8thark View Post
    Yes you can but then if I remember corectly either classic or natively booting into OS 9 just wouldn't work. Everything worked when I installed it onto the same partition as OS X.
    My G4 is set up as described above. I can boot either 9 partition or X, and Classic works, as well.

I still use QuarkXpress 4.1, but it can't redraw the screen properly without window-shading the page when running through Classic, so I boot into 9 to use it. I occasionally use Classic to run Photoshop 7, which runs in both OSes, and a Photoshop wannabe, Enhance.

Thread Information