New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Problems with Boot Camp!? And DiskWarrior.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

themighty

themighty is on a distinguished road

I had both Bootcamp and Paralles for a while, but decided to get rid of them. Now I want to load Bootcamp again, but I'm facing a lot of problems and I'm not sure what to do.

When I try to partition the disk using Boot Camp Assistant, I get the error "Verification failed. This disk could not be partitioned. Use Disk Utility to repair this disk."

When I go to Disk Utility, I select the volume, and click Verify disk. It appears to be verifying the disk, but I then get the message "First Aid failed. Disk Utility stopped verifying "Orange Juice"(the name of my laptop) because the follwing error was encountered: The underlying task reported failure on exit" and

"Verifying volume “Orange Juice”
Checking HFS Plus volume.
Checking Extents Overflow file.
Checking Catalog file.
Checking multi-linked files.
Checking Catalog hierarchy.
%)
Checking Extended Attributes file.
Checking volume bitmap.
Volume Bit Map needs minor repair
Checking volume information.
Invalid volume free block count
Invalid volume free block count
(It should be 4544029 instead of 4543674)",2)

The volume Orange Juice needs to be repaired.

Error: The underlying task reported failure on exit

1 HFS volume checked
Volume needs repair"

Looking online, I heard I should give DiskWarrior a shot, but I'm getting errors on that too. I installed DiskWarrior 4 in Applications, select Directory, select Orange Juice, and it says "Directory cannot be rebuilt, because this is the startup disk. Directory cannot be rebuilt, DiskWarrior resides on this disk." I can still create a Graph, which shows 28% errors (or something like that), but I can't rebuild.

So what should I do? All I want is to be able to run Windows on my Mac. I could do it before, why can't I do it now?
QUOTE Thanks
dandiemer

dandiemer is on a distinguished road

I found the only way to fix this is boot into Single User Mode (hold Cmd + S at boot) and then type fsck -f and let it run. If you get a message at the end that say VOLUME HAS BEEN MODIFIED or something like that, run fsck -f again and with any luck the problem will be fixed. Also keep in mind if you're using Leopard that I kept running into problems that I can only attribute to the Boot Camp Assistant borking the FAT32 partition (I figured this out after three install attempts early this morning). Once you get to the windows install screen have it reformat your boot camp partition to either NTFS or FAT32. You should be golden now.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Need a program for Mac OS 9 | Can you transfer files between Windows and OSX on the same machine? »