New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Internet doesn't work in OS X, but it does in OS 9

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Nightblade

Yeah, that's right. My modem's on, my router's on, all wires seem to be plugged in, and I'm on the internet right now! But when I boot into OS X, the internet doesn't work at all! Isn't that the strangest thing? I wonder if it has something to do with the fact that I've actually recently been switching back and forth between OS 9 and OS X, so I can use a particular carbonized program in which the OS 9 version is the only one that actually works properly. But then again, that's probably not the reason...Because the exact same thing is happening on my other computer! I mean, that computer is normally in OS 9 anyway, but I wanted to see if the internet worked on OS X on that computer, and it didn't! Not only that, but at my father's place, on his G3 iBook, the internet doesn't work either (He uses OS X, but I didn't get a chance to boot into OS 9 and try the internet there). And he lives all the way downtown! However, we do both have the same Internet Service Provider, Bell Sympatico (if anyone else here lives in Canada they may have heard of it too). We also use the same type of modem (it's external, and provided by Bell, I believe). But this whole thing is definitely a problem, and it's possible that the fact that my father's internet isn't working either is not a coincidence. This is could be very serious, and of course, if the only people who are able to reply to this message are using OS 9, then it could be an Apple problem!

And yes, I'm using OS 9 now, obviously. And I first noticed the internet didn't work on OS X about last night at 2:30 A.M., when I came out of OS 9 to go to OS X.

Anyway, does anyone have any suggestions or thoughts on this?

UPDATE UPDATE!!! Apparently, the internet is now working at my father's place. However, it's still not working for me on OS X
QUOTE Thanks
Nightblade

Please, I haven't gotten a response to this message yet. I don't mean to double post, but if anyone has ANY suggestions, I'd be willing to hear them. Please, this is a serious problem! I'm sorry to be annoying but I'd really like the internet on OS X!
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

I don't have a real answer to your problems.

The problem I have with my system is that when I first power it on with the network connected I don't see the network. After about five minutes or so I finally connect to the network. I have been experiencing this problem since OS X 10.2.3 to present. If the system goes to sleep, upon wake up I loose the connection, again I have to wait for a short period of time before it reconnects.

Like you I have looked for help, but was unable to find a solution. I have learned to live with the problem. In your case you need a solution.

How long have you waited for your system to make a connection? Also I am assuming that you have DHCP turned on in OS X.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

I was reading some where that the combo update resolves some network problems. What version of the OS are you running?

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
Nightblade

I'm running OS 10.3.4. As for my internet connection, I never normally have to connect when I turn on the system, since I have my modem on all the time and it's hooked up to a router. I also have high-speed internet service, using an ethernet cord.

Oh yeah, another thing I could mention is that the internet doesn't work in Classic environment in OS X. It only works in the real thing, the actual operating system 9.
QUOTE Thanks
Nightblade

I GOT IT BACK!!!!!

You know how? My father came up here, and after tinkering with it a lot and nothing happening, he finally decided to do something quite simple (although I never even heard of being able to do it). He reset the modem, and just to be safe, the router as well. And, it worked! My internet is back on both operating systems, and I'm now typing this on OS X!
QUOTE Thanks
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux

Good to hear.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Themes without shapeshifter | Running World Book Encyclopedia on other MAC »