New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

What do you run under Parallels?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

rogerinlondon

rogerinlondon will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacPro 2,66GHz 10GB RAM NV 8800GT Cinema 30" * MBP 15" Glossy 2.33 GHz 2 Duo 3GB RAM 160GB HD

Which Windows applications can you not be without after switching?

I use Parallels mostly for Agendus for Palm (please do a Mac version Iambic!!), MS Money, Norton Security and Media Player for streaming video from sites where QuickTime does not work since Media Player seems to be much more stable and give better quality than Real Player.

Everything always in coherence mode of course.....
QUOTE Thanks
israelvalenciac

israelvalenciac is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.16 GHz C2D, 1GB RAM, 320 HDD, Superdrive, Mighty Mouse

Use parallels just to use Media Player.... Read about Flip4Mac. You're just wasting resources and hard drive space

+Macbook; 2.16 GHz, 2GB Ram, 320 HDD, SuperDrive.
+Mighty Mouse Bluetooth.
+iPod Video Black 30GB.
+iPod Nano White 2 GB
QUOTE Thanks
walkerj

walkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive

Windows XP SP2 to run corporate apps when I a) don't feel like lugging the Dell around, or b) too lazy to take the Dell out of the bag, shove it in it's dock, boot it up, turn on the external monitor, just to quickly check the corporate email or see who is on Sametime.

Other than that, it's mostly to show people I can do it. Rest of the time it's pure Mac OS X goodness.
QUOTE Thanks
rogerinlondon

rogerinlondon will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacPro 2,66GHz 10GB RAM NV 8800GT Cinema 30" * MBP 15" Glossy 2.33 GHz 2 Duo 3GB RAM 160GB HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by israelvalenciac View Post
Use parallels just to use Media Player.... Read about Flip4Mac. You're just wasting resources and hard drive space
I have Flip4Mac and it does not always work for streaming video.

In one site I use a lot, it will not allow me to use the player in an external window, only in a new browser window and it does not perform that well there either. RealPlayer is possible, but it crashes and is laggy so Media Player is the best alternative.

I guess that site is not built with Mac in mind, but that happens....
QUOTE Thanks
vaughan80

vaughan80 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook - 2.4 ghz intel core duo / 4 gig of ram.

Do you need windows installed on a mac to run windows apps? If so, is there an alternative application that will just let me "run" the apps without installing the dreaded XP.
QUOTE Thanks
dakineyj

dakineyj will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MBP 15", 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.8.2, iPad 1, 80gb iPod, ATV 1, iPhone 5

As a Realtor I have to use Explorer to access the MLS system. That's about it...
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughan80 View Post
Do you need windows installed on a mac to run windows apps? If so, is there an alternative application that will just let me "run" the apps without installing the dreaded XP.
There's WINE and Crossover, but they can be finicky and not every piece of Windows software works. For 100% compatibility, Parallels is the best.

I use it mainly for those rare websites that don't work on a Mac. Otherwise I just use it to show off

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
knightlie

knightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really nice
Mac Specs: Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen

I use it to demonstrate my GIS applications at work; laptops supplied by our ICT dept. are restricted to the point of being unusable, so I use my own. I also studied my Open University course with Parallels as the software was Windows-only. At the moment I'm also using it to run Eclipse and develop a website using Google Web Toolkit, which doesn't easily swap between Windows and OSX.

I also play CivII on it.

[URL="http://beadia.net"]Beadia[/URL - Jewelry Business Management Software]
I judge you when you use poor grammar.
QUOTE Thanks
anmoldagreat

anmoldagreat has a little shameless behaviour in the past

well once i get it working ill be using it for just 2 apps that i miss most
media monkey for keeping control of my 30000+ songs and trillian as there is no comparison with it against ichat...
QUOTE Thanks
spilio

spilio is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 2.16GHz Macbook Pro, 2GB RAM, OSX v10.5

Nothing yet, as I don't have a Mac... But when I get mine, I'll be using Parallels (or Fusion) to run IIS, and Visual Studio. And I'm confident that others in my company will want to use it for Outlook (I use Thunderbird, so I expect migration to be smooth for me).
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spilio View Post
(I use Thunderbird, so I expect migration to be smooth for me).
Tonight I was helping a friend with some special formatted email invitations and was trying the emails on Mail and Thunderbird both on OSX and XP. Both versions of Thunderbird worked and look exactly the same, so that is one thing you can fun on OSX and feel at home.
QUOTE Thanks
spilio

spilio is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 2.16GHz Macbook Pro, 2GB RAM, OSX v10.5

That's good to know. Personally, I use little software that isn't already available on the Mac. As I mentioned above, IIS and VS are keepers, as is MS Access. But, other than that, I don't feel any compelling need to stay with Windows - except for those times when I need to support a client need.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« PC Games on my Macbook | Linux running under VMWare »