New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

mac Performa 5500 is as dead as my best friends marrage

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

WillThePlank

WillThePlank is on a distinguished road

My Macintosh Performa 5500 has something quite wrong with it

it bongs when it boots but nothing comes on on the screen and i have left it for about 20 mins for something to happen. dosent respond to having the os9.1 disc put in it and dosent respond to keybord commands. but as i said why i think its wierd is because it bongs like a working mac would. i think something has died on the board. any thoughts as i need this old hunk of mac if u believe it or not
QUOTE Thanks
yellow19man

yellow19man will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MBP SR 2.2Ghz 15.4" LED

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillThePlank View Post
My Macintosh Performa 5500 has something quite wrong with it

it bongs when it boots but nothing comes on on the screen and i have left it for about 20 mins for something to happen. dosent respond to having the os9.1 disc put in it and dosent respond to keybord commands. but as i said why i think its wierd is because it bongs like a working mac would. i think something has died on the board. any thoughts as i need this old hunk of mac if u believe it or not
Wow, I am impressed you are still using a Performa. My 5200 Performa is sitting next to my First Generation G3 Tower. The wonderful computer that came with the puck mouse.

Sorry I can't provide any help on your issue though.
QUOTE Thanks
WillThePlank

its not my main pc but **** i love it. i had it before i had a windows pc. when i get my mac mini which im doing the 2.16 ghz core duo upgrade and 2 gig of ram with 160 sata had im sure as **** ill never buy another windows desktop and it will always be mac
QUOTE Thanks
Brown Study

Brown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to all
Mac Specs: G4 Tiger and OS 9

If the screen remains dark, maybe it's the monitor.

How well-versed are you with 9.1? You know about booting into OS 9 while holding down the shift key (if the computer is set up to boot into 9)?
QUOTE Thanks
WillThePlank

well its always worked so i know how to use the mac inside os 9 well but havent tried botting from cd or some other way so no what does it do?
QUOTE Thanks
Brown Study

Brown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to all

If 9 is loaded but it won't boot from it, there may be an extension conflict. Holding down the shift key while booting into 9 turns the extensions off, so any conflict won't occur.
QUOTE Thanks
WillThePlank

ok thanks ill try it
QUOTE Thanks
Mac SK

Mac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the rough

Change the battery to a new one.
QUOTE Thanks
Brown Study

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Study View Post
If the screen remains dark, maybe it's the monitor.

How well-versed are you with 9.1? You know about booting into OS 9 while holding down the shift key (if the computer is set up to boot into 9)?
An anonymous member replied as a reputation remark to my post I quote above. The member's remark:
Quote:
couldn't be... monitors last the longest, the ram/pram would die first.
I have had two monitors that dropped dead without warning, one of them Apple-branded, the other a ViewSonic.

I bought the Apple monitor new, together with a new G3. I still have the G3.

My G4 tower used the ViewSonic, also purchased new. I still have the G4.

There were at least 50 Macs at work, also using monitors by Apple, ViewSonic, Sony and others. Over a decade and a half, monitors died left, right and centre.

Apple had a ton of problems with e-Mac monitors. Dead pixels and worse are no strangers to Mac laptops and iMacs, for that matter.

There is no law saying monitors must outlive any other part of any computer.
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

I too saw monitors die sooner than any other hardware component so the one that neg repped you didn't see everything there is to see in the computer world. I didn't either, but that's one of the things I experienced at the hospital I worked a couple of years ago.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Connect 7.5.5 to X | Which Linux Distro? »