New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

I can't figure out why bootcamp won't partition.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Steveoknox24

Steveoknox24 is on a distinguished road

Sorry if someone has had this problem before and posted it, but I couldn't find an existing thread about this issue. I am trying to run Windows on my Macbook Pro using Boot Camp. I have done it before but have since reverted back to only running OSX. Now that I want to partition my HD once again, it won't go through with it. After setting up the alotted space for each operating system, clicking 'Partition', and waiting a little while a message comes up saying it can't partition because some files could not be moved. They recommend I do this: Back up the disk and use Disk Utility to format it as a single Mac OS Extended (Journaled) volume. Restore your information to the disk and try using Boot Camp Assistant again. However, I'm not really sure what they are asking. I have gone into Disk Utility and tried to follow their instructions but just end up lost.

Can anyone clarify this for me? Or better yet does anyone have an easier solution for me?
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

I had the same problem, but you can't solve it from within OS X.

Get out the restore discs that came with your Mac. Pop them in and restart the computer. Hold "C" as the computer restarts and it'll boot into OS X setup. At the top toolbar, find the Disk Utility option. Select Macintosh HD and perform the repair function. Once that is done, exit setup and restart the computer normally.

The Boot Camp Assistant should now be able to partition without a problem.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

I also ran into this issue.

It seems that if you're running low on disk space and your disk is fairly fragmented, boot camp can't move the files over to where your OS X partition is going to be.

You could try freeing up some space, repairing the disk as kash suggested, or running a dedicated defrag tool.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Windows Media Player | Reformatting my Windows on my Macbook »