New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

bootcamp and memory under vista (macbook pro 2.4)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

niso

niso is on a distinguished road

HI All,

i have just upgarded my new Macbook Pro 17" memory to 4GB, under Mac OS X, the ram reads 4GB, however under Windows Vista it only ready 3054MB, that is whole 1GB missing under windows, is this normal, i mean its workign fine in mac, please help

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Chris3d

Chris3d is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 15", 2GB RAM

Vista under bootcamp will currently only recognize 3GB of RAM. Honestly....as much of a resource hog as Vista is, you'll still never use up 3GB...unless you're doing video editing, in which case you shouldn't be booted into Vista in the first place
QUOTE Thanks
niso

niso is on a distinguished road

Hey Bro,

thanks for the info, you are 100 percent right, i mainly use the system for video editing under, apple Bec. it much more stable, the only reason iam using vista, is to sync with my PDA, use office 2007.. as soon as micro**** offers office 2007 on the mac .. i will stop using vista all together...

Thank's Again

QUOTE Thanks
Chris3d

Chris3d is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 15", 2GB RAM

You may want to check this out:
http://www.apple.com/downloads/macos...ssingsync.html
QUOTE Thanks
richy240

richy240 is on a distinguished road

I'm the exact opposite, and as soon as (thats IF) I can run Vista natively I'll remove OS X from my machine totally. (I wonder if I should be saying this here...) I don't do ANY video editing though - I primarily work with Windows and Linux servers so it suits me rather well.

I do think it's weird that Vista would only see 3GB of your installed memory. I wonder what's causing it. I know I probably can't do anything about it, but I am curious.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by richy240 View Post
I'm the exact opposite, and as soon as (thats IF) I can run Vista natively I'll remove OS X from my machine totally. (I wonder if I should be saying this here...) I don't do ANY video editing though - I primarily work with Windows and Linux servers so it suits me rather well.

I do think it's weird that Vista would only see 3GB of your installed memory. I wonder what's causing it. I know I probably can't do anything about it, but I am curious.
Just a guess here, but could it be that 32-Bit Windows is limited to 3GB?

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Levi

Levi has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
Just a guess here, but could it be that 32-Bit Windows is limited to 3GB?
Also, the older Intel chips only supported 3GB memory. To find out whether it's the chip or Windows (not that it really matters); open Activity Monitor under OS X and it will show total available memory (don't go by System Profiler... it will show you have 4GB installed, but not how much of it is usable).

Koalas: The mafia of the animal kingdom.

Now Powered By Leopard.
QUOTE Thanks
devavejay

devavejay is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 4 gig ram 200 gig hd [5400rpm :( but like the longer battery life.]

I have a 2.4 ghz intel core duo
4 gb of ram, it show 4 gig in activity monitor, 4 gig in system profile, but in boot camp / vista it shows 3 gig - not really sure what's going on there... but it does not seem to be an EIF issue / Firmware issue as lepord see's it just fine.
QUOTE Thanks
devavejay

devavejay is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 4 gig ram 200 gig hd [5400rpm :( but like the longer battery life.]

there was another thread i found in this same forum about this... and i just confirmed what it said

I am running 32 bit vista w/ boot camp, to get the full 4 gig, i have to be running the 64 bit vista, which apparently is buggy as all get out under boot camp so no thanks... (not to mention driver h@#$ as nothing supports it)

http://www.vistaclues.com/reader-que...memory-limits/

-Deva
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« fedora 8 and grub | windows service pack 2.. how to install into mac? »