Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Parallels or VMWare Fusion?
    Looking to run XP and would like suggestion or comments on options:

Bootcamp - Native only allows XP or OS-X to be running.

Parallels vs. WMWare Fusion - Any feelback or comments which is better?

Specs:
    MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD
    I honestly don't know much about VMWare, it looks like works similarly like Parallels. But I love Parallels all the way.

From my MacBook I've an external Monitor and One Monitor is running Win XP the other is Running OS X and it works flawlessly, with no issues what so ever not even skipping a beat.

Parallels Rocks.

Specs:
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
    Quote Originally Posted by MinaMACMan View Post

From my MacBook I've an external Monitor and One Monitor is running Win XP the other is Running OS X and it works flawlessly, with no issues what so ever not even skipping a beat.

Parallels Rocks.
    Pretty cool, guess I should go ahead and plunk down the money for Parallels instead of dual booting.

When I first tried Parallels there was no support for the DVD drive - have they implemented this in the latest version?
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

Specs:
    MacBook 2.0Ghz C2D 2GB RAM 250GB HD & Superdrive
    I have not tried Parallels so I can't comment on it, but VMware Fusion works awesome for me! I installed and ran it with no issues. Works great on my 2Ghz MacBook with 1GB of ram.

I then uninstalled it, installed Bootcamp, and then reinstalled VMware. VMware will work with your previously installed Bootcamp partition. And it works great! I figured since I have to install WinXP, I might as well put it in a Bootcamp partition in case I ever want to boot into XP for finicky apps or to play a game!

VMware has my vote. If you pre-order now during the beta, it's only $39.99. I'll be ordering it!

Specs:
    20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
    I like bootcamp because I like having every resource available when I am in either OS X or XP

I will definitely take a look at VMWare if only because of how great they have been for me at work...looking forward to their IPO
    Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System

Specs:
    Macbook Pro 15.4", Core Duo 2.16ghz, 2gig of RAM
    Don't forget about Virtual Box too. It currently is on it's first beta but is really solid and free. I use VMware Fusion (beta 4 currently) and I have had a good experience running various versions of Windows and Linux. Good luck!

Specs:
    Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
    I've found VMWare Fusion Beta to be more reliable than Parallels, but this seems to vary a lot for different people. Parallels crashes repeatedly when running installers for many of my Apps (MapInfo Map-X, Civilization II), whereas VMWare has performed flawlessly so far. VMWare also feels a bit more polished than Parallels.
    [URL="http://beadia.net"]Beadia[/URL - Jewelry Business Management Software]
    I judge you when you use poor grammar.

Specs:
    Mac Mini 2.0 Ghz C2D, 2GB Ram, 160GB HDD
    I run ubuntu in VMware fusion, and soon XP. I think Ubuntu is much faster than in parallels.
    http://www.last.fm/user/Pjawsk/

Quote Originally Posted by Dodger
    Wow... that's just amazing. You pwn

Specs:
    Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
    I have Ubuntu under Fusion too - Parallels wouldn't even install it.
    [URL="http://beadia.net"]Beadia[/URL - Jewelry Business Management Software]
    I judge you when you use poor grammar.

Specs:
    Mac Mini 2.0 Ghz C2D, 2GB Ram, 160GB HDD
    Quote Originally Posted by knightlie View Post
    I have Ubuntu under Fusion too - Parallels wouldn't even install it.
    Ok it would install on mine, but i could not get more than 1024 x 756
    http://www.last.fm/user/Pjawsk/

Quote Originally Posted by Dodger
    Wow... that's just amazing. You pwn

Specs:
    Macbook Pro Core2Duo, 2.33Ghz, 2GB Ram, 15.4"
    Just a quick question. I couldn't find the answer on vmware's site. Does VMware fusion use the bootcamp partition like parallels does?

Specs:
    Macbook Pro, 2.2Ghz, 4GB Memory, 120GB HDD, LCD Display, OS X Tiger
    Quote Originally Posted by sjtaylor84 View Post
    Just a quick question. I couldn't find the answer on vmware's site. Does VMware fusion use the bootcamp partition like parallels does?
    yes it can.

I own both Parallels 3.0 and Fusion and I don't even have Parallels loaded on my MBP any more. Fusion is significantly faster, better implementation of their Unity (vs. Parallel's coherence mode), and Fusion didn't break anything (Parallels broke the Cisco VPN client). If the Fusion BETA is this much better than the Parallels released version, I can't wait to see the final released Fusion.

I did download Virtual Box this weekend to give it a try but I haven't yet, I think they are going to have a hard time competing against VMWare's Fusion.

I've been running Fusion for some time. I've installed XP and various flavors of Linux (Ubuntu 32 & 64 bit versions, Fedora 7 32 & 64 bit versions, PCLinuxOS & openSUSE). The only problem I remember having was with openSUSE connecting to the network, but it may have been something I did wrong.

The 64 bit versions of Linux FLY on Fusion! XP runs faster on Fusion (Mac Pro giving VM 1 gig ram and 2 virtual processors) than it did on my stand-alone peecee.

Quote Originally Posted by bubba View Post
    I've been running Fusion for some time. I've installed XP and various flavors of Linux (Ubuntu 32 & 64 bit versions, Fedora 7 32 & 64 bit versions, PCLinuxOS & openSUSE).
    Did you know that PCLinuxOS runs great without using any conversion programs? Just boot from disk and it works great! I have played with it a few times since it was my favorite OS before Mac.
    Julia

Specs:
    MacBook 2.0GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HDD
    I heard that Linux distros like Ubuntu had issues with installation on Parallels so I opted for VMWare.

Being new to the Mac I was not too sure what to expect but it runs very well.

I have a copy of Windows XP Pro x64, Windows 2003 Standard Edition and a x64 install of Ubuntu. They all run very well for general tasks (I have not tried any graphic intense apps like gaming, I mainly use it for Visual Studio and browser testing).

I loved the addons that came with VMWare that allowed you to easily transfer files between OS X and Windows.

The Unity feature is great as it looks like you are running windows apps in OS X.

The ability to drag and drop files between OS X and windows is also cool.

The ability to auto-resize the desktop/window is great (I use windows based VM apps at work and this does not always work so well with those).

Full screen runs well for both Linux and Windows.

The only issue I have is getting some of the features that VMWare has for windows to work with Linux. For some reason I installed the extras for Linux but I still can't access OS X folders (I currently have the version before the RC release installed and I am not sure if its me or a strange bug) and I don't think Unity works with Linux either although I have not tried this.

I have a 2.0GHz Core 2 Duo Mac with 2GB of RAM and the OS's run without any noticable slow down to me.

All in all it works out great.

Thread Information