New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Can You Install Boot Camp AFTER Parallels?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

bluto00

bluto00 is on a distinguished road

I am trying to figure out what type of Windows software to buy to give me the most bang for my buck. I am on a dial up system so downloading mega megabytes of Boot Camp is impossible. The new Leopard is supposed to have Boot Camp in it so that is where I plan on going with that option.

Question...

Is it possible to use Windows XP "Upgrade" to Windows 98 in Boot Camp? The reason I ask is that Boot Camp supposedly only will work with the XP or better but I have Windows 98 and was thinking of buying the Upgrade to my 98 software.

If this does not work that way is it possible to install Windows 98 in Parallels (which will take virtually any Windows software), then upgrade the Windows 98 to XP Pro and then install Boot Camp using this ugraded XP software as the OS via Parallels?

In otherwords the opposite of Boot Camp XP installed and Parallels sharing OS from that.

If not then I guess the only way to have Boot Camp and Parallels is to get a full retail version or OEM of Windows XP.

Thanks in advance for any help on this.
QUOTE Thanks
knightlie

knightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really nice
Mac Specs: Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen

You need a full install of XP SP2 for BootCamp, an upgrade CD won't work. Paralleles will install Win98, but you'll need to get hold of a bootable floppy disk image as Windows CDs prior to Win2000 are not bootable.

You can't use a Parallels VM to create a BootCampable Windows.

[URL="http://beadia.net"]Beadia[/URL - Jewelry Business Management Software]
I judge you when you use poor grammar.
QUOTE Thanks
rowbearto

rowbearto is on a distinguished road

A comprehensive step by step guide for installing Windows 98 SE in Parallels may be found here:

http://robsnotebook.com/parallels_win98
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Gparted Sharing Partitions | Bootcamp on Leopard »