New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

OS 9 help please [new user]

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

BigSanFrey

BigSanFrey is on a distinguished road

Okay I apologise for the stupid question already! I got an iMac G3/400 today from my dad's girlfriend and it has no CD for installation or anything. So anyway, I want to upgrade it to OS X because i prefer the newer GUI (we have them at school) but i don't know what to do. I included what it says in the about box, (i couldn't figure out what the extension is for in windows >_<!)

Quote:
Version: Mac OS Z2 - 9.0.4 Mac OS ROM 5.5.1
Built-in Memory: 64MB
Virtual Memory: 65 MB used on *+
Largest Unused Block: 38.5 MB
How can I go about updating? and what do I need to do so I upgrade safely?

Thank you so much for helping in advance,

BigSanFrey
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Well, you'll need a copy of OS X first. I'd recommend upgrading the RAM and you should be able to run OS X 10.3 on there quite nicely...
QUOTE Thanks
Sherman Homan

Sherman Homan is a jewel in the roughSherman Homan is a jewel in the roughSherman Homan is a jewel in the rough

ditto Aptmunich, more ram is essential. The problem is, what is wrong with the CD? If it is busted, you are going to need a CD reader for Panther or a DVD reader for Tiger. But that isn't even going to do it if you have the earliest iMacs because they wouldn't boot off of USB and they don't have Firewire. Next issue is getting to System 9.2.2 which will absolutely require a firmware update or you will fry the video circuit when you install OS X.
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86117
Free computers are great, they get you to learn a lot about them!
QUOTE Thanks
BigSanFrey

okay, I don't have the CD for OS 9 so how do i upgrade my system to 9.2.2? sorry about the stupid questions
QUOTE Thanks
BigSanFrey

okay an update: i updated to 9.2.2 easy! now i need to upgrade to OS X
QUOTE Thanks
Sherman Homan

Sherman Homan is a jewel in the roughSherman Homan is a jewel in the roughSherman Homan is a jewel in the rough

Did you get the CD issue resolved?
You need to decide about 10.3 or 10.4 there are lots of opinions as far as what is better to run on a G3 iMac. Which ever, you need to buy the black install disks, do not buy the gray disks, the gray disks are OEM specific for the machine they were sold with. They will not work on your iMac.
Just check on the firmware update...!
QUOTE Thanks
Mac SK

Mac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the rough

The update Boot Rom will be 4.1.9
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Monitor bootcamp problem help please | Need t change partition »