New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Bootcamp XP backlight stays on lid closed.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ebotee

ebotee is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook(White), 2.16Ghz Core2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 250GB 5400RPM Scorpio HD, Intel GMA 950

Hi, I have a White Macbook with intel GMA 950 graphics. I am using bootcamp to use XP on my machine. I have installed the drivers from the disc and everything works but when I close the screen in XP, the backlight stays on. In power options, I can choose standby or do nothing when lid is closed. Right now I have it set for do nothing and I have to manually turn the brightness all the way down to turn off the backlight to the monitor whenever I close the lid. Is this normal behavior? I do not use an external monitor or even have the dongle connected.
Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
ki99

ki99 is a jewel in the roughki99 is a jewel in the roughki99 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP

if you have it set to do nothing, then it is quite literally doing nothing. the monitor is staying on. as it does with most mac programs that get around it sleeping when it's shut.
QUOTE Thanks
ebotee

Mac Specs: Macbook(White), 2.16Ghz Core2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 250GB 5400RPM Scorpio HD, Intel GMA 950

I use sleepless when I'm in osX and it can turn off the backlight when the lid closes. When I close the lid in XP, the sleep light on the outside turns on solid so it knows the lid is closed. Is there someway I can get the monitor to just turn off? The only options in xp for actions when lid is closed are go into standby or do nothing. What can be done?
QUOTE Thanks
ebotee

Does anybody have any suggestions to get my computer to turn off the backlight when I close the lid?
QUOTE Thanks
ebotee

Anything?
QUOTE Thanks
NPuter

NPuter is a jewel in the roughNPuter is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP

weird...
I do know that the backlight should turn off when set to "do nothing"
as this is true for all windows laptops,
as for your problem I do not know why this would happen
I am going to get either XP or Vista on here shortly and will let you know what happens

"The forums are not only a place to have questions answered, they are a place to be part of a community..."
QUOTE Thanks
radjenef

radjenef is on a distinguished road

In case anyone else is trying to figure this out... here is how to do it:

Create a Shortcut or Hotkey to Turn Off the Monitor :: the How-To Geek
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Windows XP Professional will not start | "Disk Error" when trying to install Windows via Boot Camp »