New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

fresh install of mac os help.....

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

tgg

tgg is on a distinguished road

I'm new to macs and I have this looks green color imac with a front cd tray that ejects out. I have a mac os9 cd currently and I have to questions.

How do I do a complete format/clean install? Like you would in windows? Because I did do some type of clean install with that disk but after 20 minutes of installing it kinda of looks like a fresh install and kind of doesnt because I still saw some prevoius folders on the desktop from the previous owner.

Another question is what is the highest mac os version I can install on this imac, and how do i go about doing so? Thanks..
QUOTE Thanks
christm

christm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1

i asume its the same as reinstalling tiger - someone say if its not.

insert the os cd and turn the computer off. turn it on and hold the ' c ' key.

it will boot from the cd and i think options will come up. chose the option you want.

IMPORTANT - if you need files on the computer make sure you back them up as you will not be able to get them ever again if you do a complete format and reinstall

i hope this helps. chris.
QUOTE Thanks
Mac SK

Mac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the rough

Click on the option button and then check the box Clean Install. If you boot
from the install CD you can open Drive Setup and reformat the drive,Beware
when you reformat every thing is wiped clean. If you ever upgrade to OS 10
Please make shure to have the lastest firmwear installed,as you can Kill an Imac with out it.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Is Windows upgrade supported by BootCamp | Windows on Mac »