New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Changing partion size

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

bnjb

bnjb is on a distinguished road

I installed Boot Camp on my Mac Mini...When Boot Camp asked for the partition size it would only do 5 Gig, so I said sure, now I'm having the problem of having to install WinXP SP 2 it says I need more space...How can I repartition without damaging the other partitions? Can I use PArtition Magic?

Any other options?

Thanks, Please HELP!!
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Partition Magic doesn't work with OS X (HFS) partitions.

??Why would it only do 5GB? Is that all the free space you have available?
What size is your drive and what are the other partitions and how much free space do you have?

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
bnjb

Not sure..I have the 120 gig hard drive in it, with 40Gig free....thats why it was so strange...
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Two things:

If you only have 40GB left and are wanting to install XP, would say it's time to invest in an external drive for storage.

Think I would try using Boot Camp to move back to a single partition and then give it a another shot to see if it will allow you to adjust the size to maybe 10GB.

QUOTE Thanks
bnjb

But without having XP SP2 I have no way of running Boot Camp on the Windows side to get back to OSX. I just really want to get back to OSX. I just needed Windows for my Wife's work(Just need Internet to get email) She needs Citrix to gain access to her email account from home. Citrix wasn't working for her on our mac. Seems that her work is the problem... We have a few external drives I just need to transfer files over...
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

Boot camp only runs in OS X, it is not installed in XP.
Just open up Boot Camp and restore it to a single partition, reboot, and start Boot Camp and try installing Boot Camp again.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Finally found something I like about a Mac | UK Keyboard Map - Windows XP on MacBook »