New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Windows... where can I get it??

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

happydude

happydude is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: IPod Nano - 2GB

Stupid question;

I'm typing this message on a Dell desktop running Windows XP SP2, getting my MBP tomorrow. I've got my Windows CD, I think, plus the CD key. Can I use this CD for Bootcamp purposes or am I going to have to track down a copy of XP/Vista for $300 just to play a few old games???
QUOTE Thanks
rift0065

rift0065 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 2.16 Ghz C2D, 2 Gigs RAM and Macbook 2 Ghz CD 1 Gig RAM

I'm sure it would work, but I believe it would be illegal to install it on more than one computer, or on a computer other than the one it was shipped with. I may be wrong though.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

No, you can't use it. Firstly because the Windows CD that came with your Dell is tied specifically to Dell hardware, and secondly because Microsoft's product activation allows for one copy of Windows to be installed on only one machine at a time.

You can purchase a non-branded OEM copy of Windows XP from just about anywhere for around $100.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
happydude

happydude is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: IPod Nano - 2GB

Thought so, ****. Oh well, thanks anyway.

Edit, on that note, would I be better off getting a copy of Vista *shudder*???
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

It depends on what you're going to do, but I would say you're better off just sticking with XP. It's more widely compatible with programs than Vista (right now) and Vista is still kinda buggy from what I hear. Since the Windows OS will just be more of necessary evil than your primary OS, just go with the cheap, reliable () option.

If were a college student or something, you could probably get it for $5-10 as most colleges have deals with MS to buy software very cheap. In fact, a lot of times students can buy more than one version, for instance, when there's more than one available like XP and Vista.

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by happydude View Post
Thought so, ****. Oh well, thanks anyway.

Edit, on that note, would I be better off getting a copy of Vista *shudder*???
I would stick with XP like was already said. Vista has problems with some software and driver issues. XP is stable and everything works with it.
QUOTE Thanks
Smackintosh

Smackintosh is on a distinguished road

Just an FYI:

you need to have xp with SP2 interegrated for bootcamp.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Error With Disk - Bootcamp/Volume Header | Openstep 4.2 on MacIntel »