New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Linux on ppc information.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jakeroberts

jakeroberts will become famous soon enough

Hello I have 20" G5 iMac I want to use Linux on along side of OS X. I got Ubuntu to install using defaults but Debian and Slackintosh are giving some trouble and documentation is scarce. For sure I need to know about partition schemes, I am having trouble figuring out where /boot needs to be. I would also like feedback on which distro's work the best.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

NOTE: Moved to correct forum

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
Smackintosh

Smackintosh is on a distinguished road

for partitions i would back up your osx install with super duper or CC cloner and then erase the hd and set up 2 partitions. one for osx one for linux. Make the linux partiontion ufs or FAT.

Next clone osx back onto the osx partition.

now you are ready to install linux. put in the ubuntu (or whatever release you choose) and boot off of it and let the installer build the necessary boot partitions etc.. on the partition that you made for linux. This will install a boot loader and all that good stuff for you.
QUOTE Thanks
novicew

novicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)

One other suggestion would be to use Linux within OS X. Fink and Darwin Ported many Linux software to run on OS X platform. In this way you don't need to partition your HD. You can execute Linux commands within OS X. In fact you can even have your favourite Desktop GUI (KDE, Gnome, etc,.).
QUOTE Thanks
jakeroberts

Where can I find some more info on running gnome with fink?

Also, I keep getting an error from Debian Etch saying the kernel can't be installed. Does anybody know anything about it? I'm not sitting in front of it right now but I can post the log later if that helps.
QUOTE Thanks
Smackintosh

are you sure you have the correct version of debian?
QUOTE Thanks
jakeroberts

yup, it boots up, runs the installer all the way up to installing the kernel and then dies with an error. I am booting with the G5 kernel.
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21in iMac core2 Duo- 13in macbook - 10.9 on both

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeroberts View Post
Where can I find some more info on running gnome with fink?
Try here:
http://homepage.mac.com/sao1/fink/index.html
http://fink.sourceforge.net/
http://darwinports.opendarwin.org/

Craig Domingue - resident redneck.
“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin
QUOTE Thanks
Smackintosh

have you looked at any of the debian for ppc guides? It seems the 2.6 kernel should work no problem with a imac g5. If you get this to work please let us know what you had to do.

http://www.debian.org/ports/powerpc/inst/pmac
http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/powerpc/
QUOTE Thanks
jakeroberts

it boots up and the installer runs fine until it tries to install a kernel and then it crashes.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Dual 2 Core = How do I get windows on the mac? | Updating geforce 8600gt drivers for windows bootcamp on mbp? »