New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Updating the Mac OS?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

roadlet_411

roadlet_411 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac DV, stock

I have an older Mac running an early version of OS 9 and i have 2 quick questions:

1- Is there somewhere I can get some sort of full update to as current as possible, or do i need to keep slugging it out by downloading one update at a time?

2- Does my Mac have to have it's current OS completely updated and it's firmware (bios?) updated if i was switching to OS X, or can just, at the minimum, upgrade it's firmware and go directly to OS X from my early version of OS 9?

Probably silly questions, but I'm trying to understand whatever I can about this thing before I mess it up...

Thanks!

Internet Explorer for Mac??? Awwwww, man!
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

If you want to stay in OS 9, the latest version that was ever made was 9.2.2 so if you already have that installed, that's it you're at the end of OS 9 street. If you're not running 9.2.2, then you can download free updates from the Apple website.

If you want to upgrade to Mac OS X, I would not suggest you go to OS X Tiger 10.4.x as your old iMac would get kinda slow: besides, your graphics card would not be able to support some of the added features Tiger has to offer.

Mac OS X Panther 10.3.x was very stable and fast so I would recommend you buy a full install disk set off of eBay. You might want to pack your iMac with as much RAM as you can afford to make the transition as smooth as possible.

And yes, you just might have to install some firmware if you choose to go OS X.
QUOTE Thanks
roadlet_411

thanks! I'll get on downloading those firmware updates.

Now, 9.2.2 is the highest that OS 9 went. I'm starting at 9.0.4. All I can seem to find is incremental updates. Is there a full update to 9.2.2 hanging out on Apple's website somewhere that I'm overlooking, or does the updated process just go step-by-step?

QUOTE Thanks
Sherman Homan

Sherman Homan is a jewel in the roughSherman Homan is a jewel in the roughSherman Homan is a jewel in the rough

The System 9 updates were always one piece at a time. In fact even with 9.2.2 there was a QuickTime update that came after. But I think that you have a bit of a problem because if I remember correctly, System 9.1 was a paid upgrade. You can't get to 9.2.2 without it.
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Incremental updates are the only way.
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=75288

Lots of 9.2 update CDs were distributed, but if you don't have one, then the step-by-step updates are the only way to go.
QUOTE Thanks
Mac SK

Mac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the rough

If you have a 'Flavors Imac' as in colors ,like a slot load,You must Update the Firmwear before installing OS 10. Unix code can fry the video chip.
QUOTE Thanks
roadlet_411

I'll be updating the firmware and OS later today. Workin' midnights and it's time to finish my nap, lol.

QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Note that you must update the firmware only if you are updating to Mac OS X. Don't install it if you choose to stay with OS 9.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« QuickFile | Quicktime Registration Code »