New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Program not for macs

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Jeremy W

Jeremy W will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" iMac G5

I am studying for an NASD securities license (Series 24 for those in the know). The book came with a program to take practice tests on a computer. The back says that mac is not a supported platform.

Is there any way around this, for free? I really need to be able to use this on my laptop (ibook G4) without spending money on a program to make it work.

Thanks!

Oh, and, aahh, I'm going to have to go ahead and ask you to come in on Sunday, too...yeah
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy W View Post
I am studying for an NASD securities license (Series 24 for those in the know). The book came with a program to take practice tests on a computer. The back says that mac is not a supported platform.

Is there any way around this, for free? I really need to be able to use this on my laptop (ibook G4) without spending money on a program to make it work.

Thanks!
If you have an extra copy of Windows, you can download Virtual PC for free and install it. That should give you the ability to use the program.

Another option might be to try to run it under DarWINE, but that's kind of hit-or-miss for most things.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Deron

Deron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
If you have an extra copy of Windows, you can download Virtual PC for free and install it. That should give you the ability to use the program.

Another option might be to try to run it under DarWINE, but that's kind of hit-or-miss for most things.
I've had some experience with WINE on Linux, but am new to DarWINE for Mac. ****, I'm new to Mac. I found that WINE works quite often, but I usually have to spend time searching the forums to find the right tweaks to make it work. Are there similar forums specifically for DarWine? Will the tweaks that work for WINE be applicable to darwine?
QUOTE Thanks
Chris3d

Chris3d is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 15", 2GB RAM

Possibly try Crossover??? Good luck with that.
QUOTE Thanks
mck_tj05

mck_tj05 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP C2D, 1 GB ram, 120GB HD

IMO crossover works pretty well. lol when i installed vista the other day (JEEZ i forgot how much of a resource hog windows is! my fans kicked in like a minute after it booted and full blast with just IE!!) it attempted to install vista as a program. it works really well.
QUOTE Thanks
supergper

supergper is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro, 2.2Ghz, 4GB Memory, 120GB HDD, LCD Display, OS X Tiger

you're kind of screwed being on an iBook. Virtual PC is one of the few options but unless you are maxed out on memory (and still even then) it's painful to use. It's slower than crap, even on my G5 iMac w/2GB of memory it was painfully slow.

The other option of Corssover is a great suggestion, IF YOU WERE ON AN INTEL . I don't know anything about DarWine, if it's intel specific or not. Most options for Windows/Windows programs on a Mac are for Intel machines, not PPC like your iBook.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Linux(Ubuntu) on my Macbook | 1st Gen Mac Mini + Boot Camp 1.3 »