New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

macbook 32 bit or 64?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Wakefield10

Wakefield10 is on a distinguished road

Sorry if this is a silly question but I'm not all that great at computers, basically I want to get a macbook but I need to run parallels for some uni software so I need to know what version of windows to get.
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice
Mac Specs: Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone

I believe the Macbook Core Duo is 32 bit and the Macbook Core 2 Duo is 64 bit.
Do you know which version you have?
Bryan

January 2008 Member of the Month
QUOTE Thanks
Wakefield10

havn't got it yet but im planning on getting one of the core 2 duo ones
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Even though the Core2Duo is 32 AND 64 bit, I'd still recommend going with a 32bit version of windows. 64 bit Windows isn't supported by bootcamp yet and seems to cause a lot of problems...
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Agreed completely with Aptmunich. I just went on a Network service call the other day. The new system that was having issues with a Dual 4 Core Itanium system with 4GB RAM and Vista 64-Bit Ultimate. Ran into all sorts of Driver issues with his HP Pro Laser printers on the network. He has also found software that will not work on the 64-Bit version of Vista not to mention driver problems. Go with the 32-bit version.
QUOTE Thanks
Wakefield10

thanks for the advice, i'll stick with the 32 bit version. I can't wait to try os x I've heard so many great things about it and its so pretty!
QUOTE Thanks
kgeier82

kgeier82 is a jewel in the roughkgeier82 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt

hope u like koolaid, owning macs is like an addiction after the first!

2.4ghz Unibody | Hitachi 320GB 7200 | 256MB 9600gt
QUOTE Thanks
BennyTallis

BennyTallis is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 17", 3.06Ghz Core2Duo, 8Gb RAM, 500GB 7200rpm HD, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M & 9600M GT. OSX 10.6 SL

Silly question from a newby.... my bank has some software forsafer online banking... yet i have a MBP C2D thats 64bit... it says on my banks website that it only supports 32 bit... i noticed that someone above said that my MBP runs both 32 and 64 bit... is this correct. can i run software for 32bit on this... thanks. B
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Your bank's software will work just fine on your machine. My bank likewise only supports 32 bit for now - and my on line banking works without any problems.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
BennyTallis

BennyTallis is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 17", 3.06Ghz Core2Duo, 8Gb RAM, 500GB 7200rpm HD, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M & 9600M GT. OSX 10.6 SL

cheers, thanks
QUOTE Thanks
edb2010

edb2010 is on a distinguished road

Not sure what you will be doing with 64 bit until software becomes available for it. I just bought an M6500 from Dell and it has Extreme Quad Core (8 CPU's, running on 16 gigs of RAM, not 2 gigs). Photoshop CS4 supports 64 bit and has its own launch icon on the unit. To see a demo on speed, please check out this 347 meg photoshop file and see how long it takes to open it in a single processor, then watch how fast it is on Extreme Quad Core Dell M6500. Asta la vista 32 bit. Hello to 64 bit.

Youtube the72rabbit for a demo of extreme power of the Dell M6500 PORTABLE WORKSTATION for Spring 2010.
QUOTE Thanks
Jackbasswards

Jackbasswards is on a distinguished road

If you hold down the number 4 and 6 while you boot up your macbook pro it will boot in 64 bit mode..
but you have to be using snow leopard to do that.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« 3dmax with apple | Skype Causes Windows to Restart Suddenly »