New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Sharing files between mac osX and Vista.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

TheStranger55

TheStranger55 is on a distinguished road

Hi I'm a pc user getting my first mac. I plan on running vista on bootcamp on it and was wondering if I can access files that are contained in the partition of an OS by the other one?

For example, lets say I created a bitmap file with CS3 in Vista. Can I then reboot to Mac OSX and access that bitmap file using the mac osx version of Corel Painter 9.5?

I think vista uses NTFS so can the mac os X read files with that format? Same thing applies with my external hd and usb key that currently keep my windows files in NTFS, can I use them with mac os X as well?

Thanks in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
MacsWork

MacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really nice
Mac Specs: Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3

The short answer is no. NTFS is not writable for OS X. Or any other OS for that matter. I have tried the openNTFS project to accomplish this task with mild success. The same applies to vista. Vista cannot even read HFS+.

Parallels Desktop may be more of a solution for you. Just be sure to max out the RAM as we all know vista is a pig.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

OS X can read NTFS files, but cannot write to that partition.
On the windows side you have 2 options I know of.
MacDrive - a paid solution allows windows to read and write to HFS partitions.
HFSExplorer - a free solution allows windows to read only

The other solution mentioned is to use Parallels in lieu of Boot Camp.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
TheStranger55

TheStranger55 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the heads up. So I guess I can do this.

1. In windows create bitmap files with CS3 etc.

2. Boot to mac osx and then open corel painter and open up the bitmap file.

3. Edit in painter and save a new copy to the mac os x partition.

4. If I ever need to read it in windows again, perhaps upload it to a server and then log back to windows and open a browser and go to the server and download the file back again?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Think that would work.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
MacsWork

MacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really nice
Mac Specs: Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3

Or get a flash drive to call easy.
QUOTE Thanks
RespeckKnuckles

RespeckKnuckles is on a distinguished road

Hey guys...

what about formatting the shared data partition as FAT32?
QUOTE Thanks
Macwillis

Macwillis is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 15" Macbook Pro, 2.16GHZ C2D,120 GB HDD 3GB Ram

yeah that would work aswell becuase both mac and windwos cna read and write to fat.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Bootcamp 1.3 Localization Fixes | Windows xp sp1a »