Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1


    Member Since
    Mar 03, 2007
    Posts
    31
    Parallels Iso Images
    How do I create a Parallels image?

    I have a game I'd like to image so I can just click the parallels image and run it directly. I don't want to have to boot into windows then run the game from the CD.

    Any ideas?

  2. #2

    cwa107's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 20, 2006
    Location
    Lake Mary, Florida
    Posts
    26,926
    Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Quote Originally Posted by e46ci View Post
    How do I create a Parallels image?

    I have a game I'd like to image so I can just click the parallels image and run it directly. I don't want to have to boot into windows then run the game from the CD.

    Any ideas?
    You can create a disk image of the CD with Disk Utility and then convert it to ISO. Then, add a CD-ROM drive to your Parallels Windows installation and specify the ISO file as the source (instead of the physical CD-ROM drive). Of course, if there is any copy protection mechanism built into the disc, it may not work once the disc is imaged.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

    https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

  3. #3


    Member Since
    Jan 18, 2006
    Posts
    1,868
    Specs:
    G4 Cube
    Alternatively you can use Nero to rip the game to an NRG (Nero version of an image file) and then convert it to ISO with NRG2ISO. From there, you can use Nero's ImageDrive (virtual drive) to load up the ISO and play the game from there. I haven't run into a game that Nero hasn't been able to copy yet (I use Nero 6); I store all of my PC games in ISO format for fast loading and for backup.
    Mac Sites - down for reconstruction

  4. #4


    Member Since
    Mar 03, 2007
    Posts
    31
    is there anyway i can create an image that sits on my mac desktop?
    for example, I have a parallels image of IE that sits on my Mac desktop. I just click and it runs IE on mac w/o having to fire up a full copy of Parallels and load up the OS.

    TIA

  5. #5

    cwa107's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 20, 2006
    Location
    Lake Mary, Florida
    Posts
    26,926
    Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Quote Originally Posted by e46ci View Post
    is there anyway i can create an image that sits on my mac desktop?
    for example, I have a parallels image of IE that sits on my Mac desktop. I just click and it runs IE on mac w/o having to fire up a full copy of Parallels and load up the OS.

    TIA
    I think you might be misunderstanding how Parallels works because it masks Windows so well at times (particularly when running in Coherence mode).

    When you run IE, it is actually running on Windows within a virtual machine - you just have Windows obscured. The OS is completely loaded and Parallels is running in the background. If you want, you can install a game, start the game, right click the icon for the game in your OS X dock and click "keep in dock" and it will do exactly the same thing.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

    https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

  6. #6


    Member Since
    Mar 03, 2007
    Posts
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
    I think you might be misunderstanding how Parallels works because it masks Windows so well at times (particularly when running in Coherence mode).

    When you run IE, it is actually running on Windows within a virtual machine - you just have Windows obscured. The OS is completely loaded and Parallels is running in the background. If you want, you can install a game, start the game, right click the icon for the game in your OS X dock and click "keep in dock" and it will do exactly the same thing.
    I think you're right... i've been doing some more research and came across a term coherence. Now how do i get an icon from windows to my dock?

  7. #7

    cwa107's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 20, 2006
    Location
    Lake Mary, Florida
    Posts
    26,926
    Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Quote Originally Posted by e46ci View Post
    I think you're right... i've been doing some more research and came across a term coherence. Now how do i get an icon from windows to my dock?
    By default, the newest version of Parallels will put the icon of the programs you're currently running in Windows on your Dock when they are started. If you want to keep them there (regardless of whether they are opened or closed), you can right click them and choose "Keep in Dock".

    If you start Parallels and boot up Windows, open up a program like IE and the icon should show up on your Dock. If not, then you either don't have the newest version of Parallels or you don't have it set to display icons in the Dock.

    To set Parallels to show icons in the Dock, click the Parallels Desktop menu, click Preferences and click the Appearance tab. Check the box for "Show Applications in the Dock".
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

    https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

  8. #8


    Member Since
    Mar 03, 2007
    Posts
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
    By default, the newest version of Parallels will put the icon of the programs you're currently running in Windows on your Dock when they are started. If you want to keep them there (regardless of whether they are opened or closed), you can right click them and choose "Keep in Dock".

    If you start Parallels and boot up Windows, open up a program like IE and the icon should show up on your Dock. If not, then you either don't have the newest version of Parallels or you don't have it set to display icons in the Dock.

    To set Parallels to show icons in the Dock, click the Parallels Desktop menu, click Preferences and click the Appearance tab. Check the box for "Show Applications in the Dock".
    I have the show app in dock option checked but I still can't see it in OSX...

    btw, i'm running Parallels Desktop 2.5

  9. #9


    Member Since
    Mar 03, 2007
    Posts
    31
    figured it out... i didn't install parallel tools...
    did that and everything works fine.

    Thanks guys!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. burning ISO images?
    By devon1287 in forum OS X - Apps and Games
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-14-2013, 12:15 PM
  2. Burning ISO images
    By richard1098 in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-07-2009, 12:31 PM
  3. ISO images
    By nickclt in forum Movies and Video
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 06-30-2007, 06:02 AM
  4. Creating ISO images?
    By HSN in forum OS X - Apps and Games
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-11-2007, 06:07 PM
  5. .iso images
    By slipmat79 in forum Schweb's Lounge
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-21-2005, 04:52 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •