New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Running Vista/Xp on a mac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

shusty

shusty is on a distinguished road

I'm getting ready to buy a new laptop and I'm thinking about switching over to a mac. My question is if for whatever reason I cant get used to the different operating system, is it possible for it to run ONLY windows? From what I've gathered the answer is probably no but I haven't seen anything definite. Also i know this doesn't belong in this forum but are there going to be any substantial updates that anyone knows of to the MacBook Pro hardware that would make it worth waiting to buy until leopard comes out?
QUOTE Thanks
MinaMACMan

MinaMACMan is a jewel in the roughMinaMACMan is a jewel in the roughMinaMACMan is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD

Shusty,

Welcome to the Forums.

First of, I am a switcher and I was worried just like u are about the OS and how am going to get used to it. BUT I am currently using TIGER (OS X) and I am loving it and it couldn't be simpler than this. There is no way that u won't get used it. In fact u'll love it so much u will regret not switching sooner.

On the other hand, u can alway run Windows XP/Vista through Parallels or Boot Camp. I personally use Parallels occasionally to run Windows XP for some Work related programs that don't have a Mac Version and that works flawlessly.

But I wouldn't suggest installing only Windows on ur Mac and Deleting the Mac OS whether it be Tiger or Leopard. Because they are just a work of art and they hold the Record of EASE of USE.

Cheers
QUOTE Thanks
shusty

I'm getting ready to buy a new laptop and I'm thinking of switching to a mac. My question is if I cannot get used to the new operating system, is it possible to run ONLY windows on a mac? From what I've gathered the answer is probably no but I haven't seen anything definite. Also, I know this is in the wrong forum but does anyone know if there will be any major changes to the Macbook Pro hardware that would make it worth waiting for Leopard to be released? Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
snoslicer8

snoslicer8 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by shusty View Post
I'm getting ready to buy a new laptop and I'm thinking of switching to a mac. My question is if I cannot get used to the new operating system, is it possible to run ONLY windows on a mac?
The answer to this question is yes. However, I (and everyone else here) urge you to give Mac OS X a TRUE chance at wowing you. You may find that OS X is actually much more intuitive in the way it works. It will be different, but you need to remember that you are learning a new operating system, and you'll need to give it your full attention for about a week or so WITHOUT *wishing* it was the end of the week so you can install windows.

Quote:
Also, I know this is in the wrong forum but does anyone know if there will be any major changes to the Macbook Pro hardware that would make it worth waiting for Leopard to be released? Thanks.
Rumor has it that new MacBook Pros are coming tomorrow. IF this is the case and they do, I would personally doubt another hardware refresh before October's Leopard release. They'll just ship the same hardware with Leopard preinstalled vs. Tiger.

MacBook Air Unibody Core i5 1.8 GHz, 4 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD, iPhone 4S 32 GB White
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

As snoslicer said, you really need to give OS X a little bit of time. You'll soon learn that it's a far better experience than Windows.

Now, it is most definitely possible to load just Windows onto your Mac. However, it would make more sense for you to sell or return your Mac rather than try and run only Windows on it. The lack of the second button and updates just doesn't make it worthwhile.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice
Mac Specs: Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone

You could just install the minimal amount of OS X software possibly 1.5GB or so and install bootcamp. You can then make the XP partition the main drive to boot so it's kinda like only running XP.
I haven't found a single thing that would make me use a PC again. I didn't have much Mac experience before switching, only some Photoshop and other App use. I can do everything I did on my PC, only better and without worry.
If you're willing to learn and have some patience, the switch shouldn't be difficult.
Bryan

January 2008 Member of the Month
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Agreed with snoslicer8. I will add I feel it's a waste and very silly to pay the prices for a Mac and only run XP or Vista. Get a Windows machine for less $$$ that is made to run windows. If you do not like or will not even try OSX, don't bother with a Mac. A Mac is nothing without OSX. You can get the same CPU and hardware elsewhere and have full support. APPLE WILL NOT in any way support you running XP or Vista.
QUOTE Thanks
iRye

iRye is just really niceiRye is just really niceiRye is just really niceiRye is just really nice
Mac Specs: PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac

Please, before you do this, please try Mac OS X. You'll know entirely why you switched. If you seriously need Windows, but like OS X, just do a regular partition!
QUOTE Thanks
shusty

Thanks for your replies. Don't get me wrong, I'm completely willing to give OS X a try but I'm nervous about spending the money for a mac and finding out I cant live with it. Your right in that I could return it but I haven't seen many other notebooks that compare to the Mac book Pro as far as quality and styling go so I'd probably just keep it anyway if it was possible to run only (or mostly) windows. I'm sure I'll be able to adjust fine but theres always second thoughts before spending 2000 dollars on a laptop. Thanks again for the replies.
QUOTE Thanks
AK47

AK47 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.8ghz iMac 24" 4gbRAM 750gbHD + 650gbExternalHD + 22" LCD

You will be able to live with it. When you get into things like expose, you will fall in love and wonder why you loved windows in the first place.

I hate my PC at the moment.

If you buy a mac and only use windows, then what a waste of both money and potential enjoyment and enlightenment.

deep.
QUOTE Thanks
snoslicer8

snoslicer8 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive

The way I see it, you'll have the best operating system in the world (as far as these forums are concerned), with the ability to boot into something more familiar until you get completely comfortable. I run Windows XP Pro when I want to play a game that I don't have for OS X, and will continue to do so when Parallels 3 is released. Boot Camp and/or Parallels makes the whole process rather easy.

MacBook Air Unibody Core i5 1.8 GHz, 4 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD, iPhone 4S 32 GB White
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Let's stick with the thread that's in the right section (not to mention longer )

Running only Vista/Xp on a mac

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

NOTE: Merged cross posts

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
shusty

Sorry, didn't realize the thread was moved earlier so I made another one. I was wondering where it went.
QUOTE Thanks
dr00per

dr00per is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MACBOOK PRO: 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB mem, ATI Radeon X1600 256MB, 160GB HD.

Beginning of the year I switched as well.. I wanted a laptop and for some reason, the only laptop I liked was the macbook pro.. I never worked on a mac ever before..

I started testing the mac programs, OS X, everything it had.. and yah.. once you go mac you never go back ;-)

I recently installed bootcamp, just to test some games on the macbook.. and see what the difference is.. but for all other things the mac is just awsome, smarter, looks better, it simply is better.

You won't regret it but give it a week or so to get used to the change.. it really isn't that big of a change..

Now I just wish they would change all the 700+ pc's ect. at my work to mac's ;-)

good luck!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Can I install Ubuntu on External Hard Drive under Parallels? | Question About Playing an Old Game On 10.4.9 »