New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

bootcamp partition issues

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

tsubliminal

tsubliminal is on a distinguished road

hey I have recently tried to install windows on y macbook pro using bootcamp.
while bootcamp was partitioning my hard drive the computer frooze for some reason and I had to restart. Now the computer does not see any partition but it does show that I have less free space on my drive. I have tried using **** utility to repair the disk but when trying to verify It get right to the end of the progress bar and then I get this message

Disk Utility stopped verifying “Macintosh HD” because the following error was encountered:

The underlying task reported failure on exit

after clicking okay, I am unable to click the REPAIR DISK button. does anyone know how I might be able to get my 30gig of space back???
cheers

also my macHD icon is missing from my desktop.....
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

the 30gb of space should be the space you designated to be used by windows and bootcamp already created the partition.

At this point, I would run Bootcamp and either re-install windows or use Bootcamp to move the space back to your MacHD partition

As far as the MacHD icon missing, do not know about that. Have you re-booted again and it is still missing?

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

NanoBite is an unknown at this point

Have a look in Finder -> Prefs -> General, for the missing HD icon.
QUOTE Thanks
tsubliminal

tsubliminal is on a distinguished road

thnkas for the advice man but I tried already, if I try to reinstall windows then bootcamp will ask how much space to allocate to for windows but the overall space I can use for both mac and windows is still less then before, boot camp doesnt even know that it has previously tried partitioning the drive and that ther is actually more using space hiding there. It will only ever let you restore the drive to a single volume if it recognises a previous partitioin but unfornatly it does not......
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Longtime windows techie - pretty new to Mac's - from what I have gathered over past few months I only see about 4 options - 3 free, the paid one may be the best option depending on what your needs are for the data on the drive

1) Try booting from your OS X disk and running Disk Utitlity from there
2) An archive and re-install of the OS - should save all your files
3) A fresh install - will lose everything
4) Or Disk Warrior - not free, but very good reviews everywhere

edit: There could be others I am missing - maybe wait for some agreement or other options

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Soundsticks II | Anyone using Boot Camp installed Window Server 2003? »