New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

How to re-install mail.app?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

bellastrada

bellastrada is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: IMac 2.8GHz Dualcore 24'' / 2GB SDRAM / Snow Leopard 10.6.1 / external HD LaCie 500Gb

:confused:
I deleted the original mail.app to put entourage instead. But now I want to put mail.app back!

With the system 9, we only have to put the boot cd, indicate wich software we wanted to install and press install. Now in osx it seems that I have to re-install everything.. Is there a way to only re-install a specific sofware like mail.app ????

B.
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

There maybe depending on how your system was built. What version of Mac OS X are you running?

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
Chamorro

There are utilities you can download to do this, but I don't have the name or URL w/ me. I'll look in to it later.

In the meantime, try searching the forums under "package install"
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

the program is called pacifist

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

Okay, so he goes out and get the application pacifist from versiontracker or macupdate. What does he do next and which media does he need?

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold

Depends.....If he is using a restore cd there is only 1 disc....you put the disc in and go to pacifist....look through all of the folders and packages and one of them will be mail.app or something of the sort

If he has the 3 panther discs you will have to look through all 3....i am pretty sure its on 1 or 2 but havent done it in a while

when you find the package just double click and go through the install

QUOTE Thanks
rman

So if I am understang this right. Pacifist can read a restore media or an install media.

QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

Yep....It can view all of the individual packages on the disc so you can install a program by itself

QUOTE Thanks
bellastrada

Mac Specs: IMac 2.8GHz Dualcore 24'' / 2GB SDRAM / Snow Leopard 10.6.1 / external HD LaCie 500Gb

Thanks for the advices but I read that about «Pacifist» in the versiontracker comment section :

««by: **Charlessoft** Version: 1.6.3, 3/31/2004 01:27PM PST

Thulsa, have you tried downloading Pacifist and using it? Try opening Essentials.pkg with Show Package Contents and see if you can get just, say, the Mail application out. You can't as all the files are in a .pax.gz file, not just lying around in the package file. Opening it with Pacifist makes it easy to get the files you want out of the packages.
BTW, Pacifist is not by the University of Berkeley. Pacifist uses a small bit of code from the source of the 'cksum' tool to get the checksum of a file when you use the "Verify" feature. I did this to avoid having to launch the 'cksum' tool many times, slowing down the process. The code for cksum is part of the BSD software distribution, which obligates me to give Berkeley credit in the documentation, since I use some of their code. And if you object to using anything that uses code from BSD, well, the core of Mac OS X is built upon quite a bit of BSD code. ;-)»»

Conclusion IS IT WORKING OR NOT!!!
B.
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

I think that is referring to actually taking the install files off of the CD
I have reinstalled iChat with pacifist with no troubles
Just browse through the CD and find the mail install file and double click to open it

QUOTE Thanks
bellastrada

Everythings working now!
Thanks a lot guys!!!!!!!
B.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« New G4 PowerBook | OS X calculator???? »