New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Linux, OS X, XP - Looking for expert opinions.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

OS-Junky

OS-Junky is on a distinguished road

I hate to have my first post be a new thread, but rest assured I have used the search feature and read lots of threads before posting!

Here is my situation. I'm in the market for a new computer for work. I am a Web designer/developer/programmer/analysist/master. Yes, I do everything from graphics to server administration. I am a huge open source fan, and have been running a sucession of Linux flavors along side Windows 2003 Server on my home computer. I consider myself an expert computer user and can figure out just about anything.

Here is a short list of what I currenetly use for what.

Linux:
  • Most Programming & Developing
  • Server Setup/Testing
  • Every day use

Windows
  • Photoshop (would change if I have OSX)
  • System Design (M$ Viseo & other tools)
  • IE 6 & 7 Testing
  • Some Programming - Not huge requirement
  • Instant Rails for when I am feeling lazy
  • Other random Windows only Aps

I grew up on Macs, matured on Windows, and fell in love with the open source community and linux.

If left up to me I would probibly stick with this kind of a set up. But my boss is a huge mac fan and is heavily pushing a mac. And, being the OS fan I am, I think three is better then two!

So now after all that background here is my question:
Is it possible to have the best of three worlds? I would be running dual monitors on a MacPro. I need everything to work on every OS.

What is the best way to do this?
Dual boot OSX & Linux then run Windows as a parallel?

I would like to hear what the experts have to say! Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Best Virtualization Software? Parallels running slow | Halflife Episode 1 crash in Boot camp »