New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Can I install Ubuntu on External Hard Drive under Parallels?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

markw10

markw10 is an unknown at this point

I use a MBP and am running Parallels. I currently have it set up with a Windows XP partition on my internal hard drive.
Now what I wish to do is set up a Linux partition using Ubuntu. I know this is possible using Parallels but becuase of hard drive space I don't want to put it on my internal drive. I have a external firewire hard drive that I wish to use. Is it possible for me to set up this Parallels partition to also have a Ubuntu partition and as well have it on a external hard drive? Where can I get instructions on how to do this? Thanks in advance for help.
QUOTE Thanks
mutejute

mutejute is on a distinguished road

mark, you gave me an idea too. id also like to install linux without using the internal harddrive space. either parallels or bootcamp is fine with me as long as i can run linux (from the external harddrive). i dont own a macbook yet but i'll be getting one with the 60gb harddrive only.
QUOTE Thanks
markw10

markw10 is an unknown at this point

That's good to hear.I had no clue if you can run Ubuntu under BootCamp as well. That's something I may look into.
QUOTE Thanks
niko-time

niko-time is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Intel Mini mac 1.83 w/superdrive. iPod 80GB. Ipod shuffle coming soon...

If anyone knows the answer that would be great.
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

I guess there's only one way to find out! It can't be that hard to just try it, right?

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks
dekan

dekan is a jewel in the roughdekan is a jewel in the rough

I found these 2 websites about that topic:
http://www.futurehardware.in/577794.htm
http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...06061610374449

hope it helps and let me know if it works :-)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Ubuntu on Macbook (Bootcamp) | Running Vista/Xp on a mac »